Paestum

Aug 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Paestum

I am taking a cruise and will be in Amalfi from 8 a.m to 4 p.m. The cruise line does not provide for an excursion to Paestum. Is it possible to visit Paestum via bus,train,or taxi in this short period of time?
Aug 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM

I Googled it on Google Maps, and it says it is only 64km, and takes 1 hour 11 minutes to drive, so it seems physically possible. Perhaps someone else can suggest drivers or tour companies.

Aug 5th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Its possible but be sure you double check everything time wise. We took the train from Naples to Salerno then local to Paestum. On our return (heres what you want to know) we returned to Salerno and took the ferry back to Amalfi then the bus up the coast back to Sorrento and then train to Naples, but we had all day and night if needed.
Ferry took appx 11/2 hours. The road between Paestum and Amalfi is not that great and its slow going on bus.
Here is site for Sita Bus Schedule:http://www.sitabus.it/wps/portal
You might cut the time down by going to Salerno on an express (4 stops) then doing the local train to Paestum, back to Salerno then back to Amalfi.You have to buy return at Paestum.
Paestum is worth the trouble but it is a little off the main track.
Aug 5th, 2007, 09:28 AM

It may be possible to rent a car where you dock. If so, this would be the way to go.

Paestum is fantastic!!!

dave
Aug 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM

I really like Paestum - apart from the temples there is an excellent museum there. The problem is that you only have 8 hours - probably nearer 7 if you allow for embarking and disembarking.

If you were to hire a taxi for the trip, it might be possible. The alternative of Ferry/bus to Salerno and then train to Paestum would probably take far too long. I don't think I would want to drive it myself - To road from Amalfi to Salerno is winding (I find it hard to believe that Viamichelin estimates the journey as only 30 minutes), an from Battipaglia to Paestum itself is fairly chaotic with many parts having a 50km/h speed limit (which is completely ignored).
Aug 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM
ira

Hi R,

It is 1:30 hr from Naples Centrale to Paestum by train.

From the train station in P, it is about 0.2km walk to the entrance to the ruins.

Schedules are at
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Enjoy your visit.

Aug 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Don't go all the way over to Naples to get the connection. You can hire a driver on the spot in Amalfi, if that is where you are docking.