Hotels in or near Bourges and Toulouse

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations for hotels or b&b's near or in the cities of Bourges and Toulouse? My husband and I are breaking up our trip down to Languedoc and would enjoy recommendations for establishments that may include a restaurant on site or within a short walking distance. I would prefer something more French than a Novotel type of hotel. We much prefer the village atmosphere to the downtown but are open to any and all suggestions!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 04:23 PM

tt - I can't believe no one has a comment - (besides I am interested in the same info - is Bourges a nice town? Worth a look or just drive on by)?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Sorry. I was put off by the reference to Bourges, and had to go an look up where it was.

And the answer is, if it were me, with that brief, I would not stay in Toulouse; I'd go somewhere further up into the Lot. I'll look out some references that might work for you if you think this is a good solution
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Thanks for responding Sheila. Like I said I was interested in the Bourges area - have you any recommendations near there? (I think that is a reasonable drive from CDG on the day I arrive. I am nervous about driving too much further because of the jet lag). And maybe we can get Paulette2218 her answers or some help too.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Can't help you with hotels, but if you're nervous about driving after arrival, why not take the train to Bourges/ According to the town's official website, there is also a shuttle directly from/to CDG and Orly.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM

I stopped in Bourges a couple years ago but didn't stay there. I don't know why it's so unknown. It's definitely worth a visit - it has a nice central area and the cathedral is awesome.

However, the area around it is ugly - strip malls and very congested traffic. I hated driving through it. If you end up driving, take the highway.

I started to research places to stay in Bourges but ended up continuing on to the Loire valley & staying there so can't help with that.

Here's the link to the Bourges tourism web site: http://www.bourges-tourisme.com/
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM

We've stayed in Toulouse several times & Bourges once.

In Toulouse, we stayed at the Mermoz once and Le Presidal once. We also stayed at an airport hotel. Both the Mermoz & Presidal are about half-way between the train station & the edge of old town. The Mermoz is a little more upscale. The Mermoz has parking - don't know about the Presidal. Toulouse is one of my top 5 cities in France.

In Bourges we stayed at the Berry. We dined at the Michelin 1 star l'Abbaye St Ambroix, which is also the hotel De Bourbon. Bourges is rated *** in the Michelin Green Guide, but we didn't enjoy it as much as we anticipated.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Thanks all. St Cirq - I am planning on the Renault lease buy back and I am not sure about Bourges as a pick up option. Right now I plan on picking up the car (a Teepee?) at CDG - I know you always recommend the train out of CDG - but I thought that getting the car there would be easiest. I have never had a probelm driving in France so am not too afraid of that - just the jet lag if I try to drive too far the first day. Stu - I read about the Berry and was actually thinking of staying there - is it a good place to "land" on your first day - i.e. comfortable beds and all? I am disappointed to see the restaurant/hotel didn't quite live up to expectations - do you recommend any place close by or an alternative town that you might suggest? (What's another 30 minutes one way or the other)?

Shanti - thanks for your note. I had seen where somebody had ranked Bourges as the number 14 best city to visit - and was begining to wonder why. At least it is worth a drive through if nothinbg else. (And I have seen pictures of the cathedral and it looks awesome. But that is not enough by itself).

Thanks everybody for the input.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Don't remember how comfortable the beds were - we were only there for 1 night. The restaurant/hotel was fine - Bourges itself didn't live up to our expectations for a *** city. It was nice - but not on a par with other *** cities we've visited in France (Toulouse, Rennes, Dijon, Strasbourg, Rouen).

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Bourges is primarily known for its cathedral. You can find other charms there by immersing yourself in the old town and small streets; nonetheless, it won't be a highlight of your trip. Why don't you hop on the TGV from CDG to Toulouse or Brive or somewhere and pick up a car and start from there?
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM

If you're picking up a Renault Lease Buy back, you could do this at Toulouse airport- we've done this with a friend. Cant' be done at Brive, and probably not at Bourges.

One possibility would be to take the train from Paris to Toulouse, have a few days there to recover, and then pick up the car to continue. Toulouse is a super city, with lots of great restaurants, wonderful walking, beautiful churches. A lively and interesting city, one of our favourites, and one voted best city to live in by various French surveys over the years. Also easier to drive in and out of than Paris.

We've stayed in the Beaux Arts, very pretty, great location, but expensive, with small rooms. Also in the Mercure Wilson, bigger rooms, more comfortable, also expensive unless you get a special rate, but great location. I have to say that we've never found a charming small hotel in Toulouse. We would now probably go back to the Ibis in the centre of town. Not charming, but not expensive, and again good location.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 11:45 PM

If you're interested in seeing Toulouse, a good, very reasonable hotel (around 80 euros for a double) right in the center is the Hotel Albert Premiere. It is family run with clean, modern rooms with AC and just off the Place Capitole. Walking distance to many restaurants and cafes. Staff is friendly and location excellent.

Driving and parking in old Toulouse is not fun--we put the car in an underground car park close to the hotel and left if there for two days. Hotel has a discount with the car park.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:17 AM

I'd pick Albi, if I were you.

But here are three hotels to have a look at. I like the one in Laguiole, but it has a dreadful web site.

http://www.hotel-de-bastard.com/index.php

http://www.hotel-albi-saintclair.com/ACCUEIL.html

http://www.hotel-albi-saintclair.com/ACCUEIL.html
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:58 AM

I've stayed at the Mercure Wilson in Toulouse, also, and it was a super location -- only a couple blocks to a metro or the main place, and place Wilson is full of restaurants, as are some other nearby streets. The hotel is basic modern chain, of course, but I opted for that after viewing the poor selection of so-called "charming" hotels in Toulouse, of which I never found any (at a reasonable rate, anyway). I got a very good rate online by prepaying, as I recall. ALso, I was there in the summer and wanted AC. The hotel was also very quiet as it's not on place Wilson itself, and I requested a room not looking over the street in front. Large room, nice bathrooms, even had a coffeemaker, as I recall.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 03:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the Hotel Albert 1er in Toulouse. http://www.hotel-albert1.com/index_uk.php

Some of the rooms are very charming, others are more functional.