Hotels in Moscow

Sep 12th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Lisa

Hotels in Moscow

Any suggestions in regards to these hotels, good or bad experiences? Metropal, Hotel Danilovsky, Baltschug Kempinski & the Savoy. I am looking for something unique or with charm. Lisa

Sep 12th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Marc David Miller

The best hotel is the Baltschug Kempinski. It strives for perfection and largely obtains it; views from some of the rooms are spectacular. The location is not very convenient to walk to and from, though. The Danilovsky and the Savoy have spotty service; I feel the Metropol has really fallen and has a non-woman friendly atmosphere. After the Kempinksi the best hotel in Moscow is probably the Marriott Royal Aurora--yes it is a Marriott but the service is very good and the location is very convenient. Petrovka is a convenient area for both sightseeing and late night dining.

Sep 13th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Alexander

Hi Lisa,
How about private accommodation in Moscow? If it is interesting take a look this website http://www.geocities.com/alexmsc/
Best regards and good luck,
Alexander.

Sep 14th, 2002, 06:39 AM
lucky

You may also want to check out the Le Meridien National Hotel which is locate directly across the street from the entrance to Red Square. I stayed there in January and was quite satisfied. Staying there again in about a month. I would like to give the Kempinski a try sometime too, but as Mr. Miller has mentioned due to its location I may have to think about it.

Sep 14th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Marc David Miller

The National has the best location in Moscow, but the rooms are a bit small in many cases and more recently the Intourist (the tall hotel next door on Tverskaya) has been closed and is being dismantled, which can mean both noise and other problems for those staying at the National.

Sep 14th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Deb

Lisa, take a look at the Budapest. It is about 10 minutes walk from the kremlin and affordable. I thought the rooms were nice, it is a more boutique like hotel.

Sep 14th, 2002, 08:48 AM
lucky

I had heard that the Intourist was to be demolished and make way for a new hotel. I thought I had heard it will be a new Hilton. Is that correct ?

Sep 14th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Marc David Miller

Last I heard "officially" Hilton was going to run it, but I have seen so many changes in the Russian hotel market that I don't know for sure. It would be an ideal market for them, but they may try to get another hotel before that property is built.

Sep 14th, 2002, 08:46 PM
carson

I stayed at the Baltschug in late May and thought it was a very nice, well-run property. Make sure you understand it is not inexpensive though, by any world standard. A local Baltika beer was more than US $4 and a cocktail $10+ in the lobby bar. Internet access in the business center was $8.50 per 15 minutes. That was all fine to me, because I expected things would be pricey. My only beef was that the water in the hotel (as in the rest of Moscow) is not potable, and even the staff recommends it not be used, even for brushing teeth. However, the only bottled water provided in the rooms was Evian in the mini-bar at $4 a pop! I thought it was chiseling of the hotel not to provide some daily supply of purified water for basic purposes. Odd, at the Grand Hotel Europe in St. Petersburg, they supplied plenty of good bottled water in the rooms gratis. Odd---same management company.

Sep 15th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Big

You pay $250 for a hotel room and complain about having to pay $4 for a beer. Why not go down to the street and buy for 12Rbl - $0.40.

The water in Moscow is safe - just tastes bad, the water in St Petersburg is not safe.