Hotels in London

Search

Hotels in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in London

We were originally looking at Apartments/Townhouses but are finding they are more expensive for our time period (early July 2007) than we had originally thought.

Can anyone share some inexpensive to moderate hotels that they have stayed in and liked in London?

Someone had mentioned Ibis London Centre and a numjber of Marriotts including Marble Arch and Regents Park, and Renaissance Chancery Court.

Since we are 2 adults and 2 teens we will likely need 2 rooms (or one suite) 4 of us in one room does not work. My sister has a younger child so she will need a triple room.

I am from NY (near NYC) and went to Italy last year so thought I was prepared for London prices. But WOW! Much more than I had anticipated, and since this part of a larger family trip it needs to be done.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Donna
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:47 PM

I'm not sure of your budget, but try the Bonnington Hotel in Bloomsbury. They have double, triple, and family rooms. Plus they have A/C which you may need in July. It's too early now, but it's possible to book through British Airways Holidays for a better rate than on-line elsewhere.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What price flats have you been looking for? There are apartments in all price ranges. Sure that are many for £2000 or more a week - but there are also lots for £120-£150 or less a night. For a family a flat is usually more economical than 2 rooms in a comparable quality hotel
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 09:32 PM

Have you tried Priceline? I've gotten some really good deals on London hotels there.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Priceline isn't really a great choice in this case since they need a family room or two rooms. One can often get two rooms w/ PL - but there are no guarantees. And especially if they want connecting rooms.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:36 AM

What price do you mean by moderate? Did you try
http://www.londonguestsuites.com/
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:08 AM

The Premier Travel Inn County Hall is on the river right by the London Eye and across from the Houses of Parliament. It's an excellent location. Rooms there are from around 90 GBP - but if you need 2 rooms....

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/...?hotelId=23881

Premier Travel Inn's also offer other hotels in London for around 80 GBP - look on the website.

Also there are many reasonable hotels around Victoria, I've only stayed at The Comfort Inn Victoria which was cheap and just about OK, but I would prefer the County Hall.

It really surprises me that you can't find an apartment for less than 180 GBP a night. There have in the past been quite a few suggestions and recommendations posted here.

Also I just googled 'london flat holiday rental' and got loads of sites. I closed the page by mistake so can't post any links. But if you do a google search, remember that in the UK we call an apartment a flat.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:19 AM

I've recommended this site many, many times. Before deciding to go with an inexpensive hotel, check out London Serviced Apartments. They offer apartments in 3 different price groups all over London!
http://www.londonservicedapartments.co.uk/
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:40 AM

just a tip...be sure to consider VAT. tax is included in most hotel rates that are quoted locally but sometimes on the internet, prices are quoted excluding VAT (both for hotels and short term flats). at 17.5% it does make a difference and you want to be sure you are comparing "apples to apples".
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I have scoured all the reports in tripadvisor.com/venere.com/oh and probably 10 others! These have offered the best deals and some have family rooms that fit five...also check into B&B's on tripadvisor.com's site....there were several there that were booked but had wonderful reviews and you could probably get a great rate...

London Lodge Hotel
Allandale Hotel
Hart House Hotel
K&K Hotel George
Aster House
30 Pavilion Road
The Bulldog Club
The Knightsbridge Green Hotel

Many of the above have rooms for 4 (we have 5...very hard to find) also the London Hilton Metropole has a family room that can sleep 4-6 and sometimes has deals as low as 130 pounds a night.

If you go to www.tripadvisor.com and put in London and look at B&B's, go through their top 20 list...there were 2-3 on there that would be perfect for your family and under 100 pounds per night...they just wouldn't fit 5 of my family. Also a website called "A special place to stay" (google it) has some great options....

I've done a great deal of research but am trying to decide between two...one is at Earls Court and the other at Paddington ....any ideas on comparing these two areas? Thanks!

Tara
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info.

To clarify some - when we were looking at apartments we were looking for a 3-4 bedroom that would accomodate my family a well as my sisters family in the same place. The prices that showed on line were much lower than the actual prices when I contacted the owners.

That is the reason that I comparing all my options.

I will check over eveything that has been mentioned and I'm sure I will have more questions to ask.

Thanks
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

I see a bunch of places in Bloomsbury. Is that convenient to the major tourist sites?
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Go for it. Bloomsbury is just one of the many areas in London where there are tourist sites (the British Museum and the British Library, to be specific). London is a biiiggg town, and as long as you are on the tube or a bus, you can find your way to anything else you'd like to see. Have you considered renting two apartments in the same building?
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM
MaureenB

Have you tried londontown.com? It's a helpful resource, and you can search by type of hotel, budget, location.

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:28 AM

I can appreciate your frustration at finding cheap accomodation -- my friends and I solved that problem by buying a flat for ourselves and special guests. Five tube stops from the West End! Before buying it we generally stayed at hotels that had a teeny kitchen (we generally fixed our lunches and reheated some microwavable dinners.) At the time they were about 60 pounds per night for a 2 bed room (with kitchen.) Can't remember names tho. Try web search.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:35 PM

One word: Priceline.com