Help with London Hotels

Search

Help with London Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with London Hotels

My husband and I originally planned an easy, two week vacation in London and Paris in late March-early April. Well, now there are 4 other couples going with us, and they have never been to either city. I'm having a hard time finding a budget hotel ($150-$200 per night)with the requirements we need. We have stayed at B & Bs in Bloomsbury 3 times before and once near Paddington, but those places are booked for our dates. I've looked at websites and reviews until I'm dizzy, but can't make up my mind. I have narrowed the choices down to two: the Harlingford Hotel in Bloomsbury or the Park International in Kensington. Can anyone offer alternatives or comments?

Thanks, Claudia
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 07:09 AM

This past year we stayed at a lovely B&B, but it was a little outside London (not everyone wants to do that). We stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum last year and I really liked the hotel and location. We also found it relatively inexpensive.

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 07:26 AM
tod

You may want to consider the Ibis Euston in Cardington street. We have stayed there several times in preference to the Harlingford which is close by in Cartwright Gardens. Reason being we like the easy acess to Euston and the underground, the cafe/restaurant downstairs if we are really tired and don't feel like going out to find a meal, and the price.
The Harlingford looks charming and I love their pretty window boxes but I don't want to be on the top floor without a lift or down in the basement rooms. Also I don't think they serve an early breakfast if you are heading out for the day and want to get going.
Maybe someone has stayed there and knows a bit more.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Gosh, Priceline is really the best option at this point for decent London hotels but you can only bid for 4 rooms at a time, not 5.

Here are reviews of the Harlingford
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

and the Park International
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

I wouldn't be happy in either at $200/night.

Here's a link to the London hotel page on bidding for travel, a site that helps you bid on Priceline. In your shoes, I think I'd take a chance and do 2 bids, one for 4 rooms and another for 1 room. If you don't get the same hotel, you and your husband can stay separately since you've been to London before. I just want you to see the prices people are paying for 4* hotels vs. what you'd be paying for these very basic b & bs.
http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...abiddingfrm215

This site and betterbidding.com (a bit friendlier) will also help you construct a bid.

If you don't want to deal with Priceline, with a quick look on Londontown.com I see the Millenium Bailey for 94 gbp/night (just under $200) for a double room. It gets good reviews http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html
and is well located.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I had printed out the tripadvisor reviews for both of the hotels and am going to show them when we meet tonight. I have looked at hotels on Londontown.com and we may decide to try one on those. I'm at the point that I will let the majority decide (well, maybe I'll steer them a little), but we may well book 2 & 3 rooms on priceline.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 09:24 AM

we just stayed at the four star copthorne tara at high kensington street. got it on priceline. for $110 incl. taxes and fees.

ask for a courtyard room.

but they also had an offer for 99 pounds including breakfast and tax on their website.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Try the Amsterdam Hotel on 7 Trebovir Road in Earls Court. Very convienent to all the sights, its on the Picadilly Line, which runs to Covent Garden, Picadilly Circus, and is the line that runs to Heathrow Airport. The area also offers a wide range of culinary foods. Indian, Chinese, Italian, French as well as pub food and some of the best fish and chips Ive had. It was even better than Brighton, where fish and chips originated. The hotel has rooms as well as flats. But they all have facilities for fixing tea coffee in the morning and micro waves for food. You can also have breakfast included for a minimal charge. Rates are approx 75 to 125 Euros.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I have found the Ibis group of hotels to be ones that I would seriously recommend.......They are spotlessly clean and great value for money.....I have also found probably the best site for budget hotels....It is called TravelStay.com........This is one that I have found through trawling the Web...And it is well worth a look.....
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In your situation I would check out Scala House www.scala-house.co.uk/

It offers 2 bdrm, 1.5 bath flats w/ livingrooms and full kitchens for £140 per night - only £35 per person per night for 4 sharing.

Or they also have
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 12:27 PM

In your situation I would check out Scala House www.scala-house.co.uk/

It offers 2 bdrm, 1.5 bath flats w/ livingrooms and full kitchens for £140 per night - only £35 per person per night for 4 sharing.

Or they also have 2 bdrm 2.5 bath penthouses w/ wrap around terraces for £200 per night

All of the flats will sleep 6 - but I wouldn't recommend that for 6 adults since 2 would end up on a sofa sleeper. 2 flats will comfortably sleep 4 and the other 2 could spring for a flat for themselves - or you could all pro-rate the costs between the 10 of you.

You would have a LOT most space and comfort than at any bargain hotel/B&B.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 12:28 PM

sorry for the hiccup - didn't mean to hit post the first time and thought it didn't take.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM

If you hit your browser's "Back" button a couple of times, you can get to the "Post a reply" screen, change your post, and hit "Post my reply." Or hit "Delete" and your post will go away.

This works <i>after</i> the message has been posted.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:03 PM

..just to second comments on Park International..certainly poor value. I find Priceline really the way to go for London...You can get a 4* in a great area for the cost of a very iffy room in not so great an area. You MUST read bidding for travel first.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM

We stayed at the Copthorne Tara:
http://www.millenniumhotels.com/MCIL.nsf/lu_hoteldoc/43$$hotelDescription?opendocument
It is very close to the Kensington High St. tube station. It is a business class hotel and you should be able to get a room for about 75-80 GBP. Even with taxes it will be just under $200 a night.

Our room was clean and pretty large by European standards (about average in US standards), but we didn't have very many TV channels to choose from on the nights where we just wanted to relax.

There are some good restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel.

Overall we enjoyed our stay there.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 08:27 PM

..and I &quot;won&quot; the Colthorpe Tara for $85 dollars (not pounds)/ night on priceline.