Hotels in Florence/Rome Round 2

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Fodorites! I have another question for you!

I am looking for a hotel for several nights in Florence for 2 adults, and several nights in Rome for 2 adults. I am open to spending between $150 and $200USD per nite and am open to any suggestions.....

We will be in Italy this October.

Thanks!

Kat
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM

Kat, have you considered an apartment? There are lots available. We never stay in hotels any more. We love the space and privacy of an apartment, and being able to eat breakfast, at least, in.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

I have passed that by my husband but he still isn't sold. Do you recommend any? Maybe if I share with him the cost savings and convenience he will bite!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:08 PM

I recommend that you go to the webiste venere.com and plug in your dates and see what you come up with in your price range for your cities. They have a lot of user reviews, and they are current.

I'll give you 2 other places, both in your price range, both Michelin-recommeded.

Tourist House Ghillberti in Florence

Pensione Barrett in Rome

I've stayed in the first and thought it was terrific for its location. I booked friends into the second on short notice, and they were very happy. The location is superb. But you should always check recent reviews -- Tripadvisor, venere.com and booking.com have a lot of traffic and a lot of up-to-date user reviews.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM

Sorry for my typo. It's Tourist House Ghiberti

Here's the website

http://www.touristhouseghiberti.com/
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We've stayed at Tourist House Ghiberti and would again, but it is not a hotel in the traditional sense. There is no real lobby, no room service, no laundry, etc. What is does have is larger than average rooms and bathrooms, a computer with free internet access in each room, a fairly good breakfast (included), a small outdoor terrace and an indoor jacuzzi/hot tub. The owners live in the same building and are helpful with suggestions, information, reservations, etc. You let yourself into the building and room and operate the lights with an electronic card key. There is a bus stop in front of the building entrance, and the location is a few blocks north of the Duomo. You need to book early as there are only five rooms.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM

With the owners on the premises, it's not like renting an apartment. It really is like a typical B&B, or even small Italian hotel (which very often have only a desk and no lobby.) They certainly meet you when you arrive, are there all the time during the day, and my recollection is that unless you come in rather late, they are at the desk in the evening.

It's a small, family-run place, and it gets excellent reviews, which means you do indeed have to book early

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Tuscany.html
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM

Jean, which Italian hotel did you stay in for under $200 that had room service?
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was merely pointing out that this property does not offer some of the services that might be expected (or hoped for) in a hotel. I haven't surveyed every hotel under $200 to see which ones offer it. Was I supposed to?
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM

We stayed in Florence - Hotel Davanzati which is in the old Palace. The hotel starts on the 2nd floor. Fantastic but not sure where the price is at. Father/Son run the hotel.

In Rome we stayed right around the corner from the Pantheon. I tried to look up the name and if I can think of it or find it I will repost.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:12 PM

Someone else recommended Hotel Aberdeen and I will be staying there in early Oct -- I'm pretty sure it's in your price range. But I agree with idea above of plugging in dates in Venere or TripAdvisor and seeing what is available....
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM

We just returned from Florence and stayed at Antica Torre de via Tournabuoni. We loved it! Great location and spectacular rooftop terrace (where you eat breakfast) with amazing views of Florence. Front desk was extremely helpful in helping us make reservations for museums, restaurants, etc.
http://www.tornabuoni1.com
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 01:52 AM

Antica Torre de via Tournabuoni is my favorite in Florence but I have never seen it for your budget.

If you do not mind walking a bit, check out San Gallo Palace and Hotel Aethenaeum, both near Piazza della Liberta. I have stayed in both multiple times and find them a great value for the level of accommodation and services.

Also check out Hotel Balestri on the Arno, a nice three star in a convenient location.

Hotel David gets wonderful reviews and I have considered staying there on past trips but it is always booked up, which says a lot about it.

If you do not mind a bit of a walk, there are some excellent values in Florence.

In Rome, I have not personally stayed in any budget hotels but Hotel Julia gets solid reviews on tripadvisor.com. Albergo Cesari and Albergo Santa Chiara are both nice hotels near the Pantheon but not sure if you can get them at that price.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I am reviewing everyones suggestions and am open to additional recomendations. I have spent a lot of time on Trip Advisor but really appreciate everyone's honest opinions on places they have stayed!

Thank you again!

Kat