Hotels in Rome and Florence

Jan 31st, 2004, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in Rome and Florence

We are going to Florence and Rome for our honeymoon in August. Since the value of the US dollar is terrible right now, I've noticed that most hotels are over $250 USD a night!! Can anyone recommend nice hotels in both cities that are less than that? It doesn't need to be fancy, but still fairly good considering it's our honeymoon - we must at least have air conditioning and our own bathroom. We won't be renting a car so we would like something that is close to the main attractions. A few places that we've considered so far in Rome are:

Hotel Ara Pacis
Hotel Morgana
Hotel Veneto
Royal Gambrinus.

Haven't researched Florence too much yet. Thanks in advance for all of your help
Jan 31st, 2004, 07:41 PM

in florence try the tourist hotel ghiberti... we just booked it for our honeymoon... for rome we're splurging on the albergo del senato....
Jan 31st, 2004, 07:41 PM

Hi,

First I'd like to say congratulations on your wedding! This year will be my first trip to Italy and this site has been a wealth of information. So, I'm going to pass on a suggestion given to me for Florence. Why not consider an apartment? We've booked with the San Lorenzo apartments and will be paying 95 Euros a night. If you are interested, check out the site. It's www.sleepinginflorence.com

Whatever you decide, have wonderful trip!!!

Linda
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:26 PM

Hi Prill,

Like nbs mis, for Florence I'm also booked for Tourist house Ghiberti in May. Here's the link if you want to take a look.

http://www.touristhouseghiberti.com/
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:58 AM

Try the Porto Rosso in Florence--great location and wonderful huge old rooms for the most part. In Rome, Pensione Scarlanatta(sp?) across from the Hassler or Hotel Gregoriani(just down the street)--rooms in the back have great views. When we were there, the rates were quite reasonable, but it has been a few years.
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:12 AM

We stayed at the Cimatori Guest House last year and really liked it. The rooms are good size, it is quiet and breakfast is included. Great location with a very helpful host. I think we paid about 150 euro.
http://www.cimatori.it/english.html
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:21 AM

For Rome, we just booked the Residenza Canali ai Coronari. I think it was around $210/night at the current exchange rate. Good location and we've heard good things about it. You might also check with Hotel Julia, which is also in your price range.

When is your honeymoon? We are planning our Italian honeymoon for the end of June/early July. I'd love to shares notes with you!
Feb 1st, 2004, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Jun04 - We are going from August 16 to August 26. We will have to e-mail one another to compare notes! Have fun planning! And thanks to everyone for their ideas.