Hotels in Edinburgh

Jan 11th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Edinburgh

Could anyone recommend a good reasonably price hotel in Edinburgh? Thank-you
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Sure we can - IF you tell us what you think is a reasonable price. (For some "reasonable" is £30 pp and for others it could be £100+ pp)
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:00 PM

I recommend the Hotel Ibis in Hunter Square. It is very reasonably priced especially considering it is right on the famous Royal Mile that runs between Ediburgh Castle & the Palace of Holyroodhouse. It's within walking distance of the train station and Princes Street. Can't ask for a better location! It's not fancy but still a very nice place. Only a few years old so the facility is very new, modern & clean. We paid 50 poiunds per night there last spring. Breakfast is extra, but rather overpriced, we opted to buy our own elsewhere. All the rooms are en-suite & have TV and tea & cofee making supplies. I'll probably book there again for my next trip.
Jan 11th, 2004, 12:05 PM

The location of the Ibis is excellent, but it is an uphill walk from Waverly station and Princes Street.
Jan 12th, 2004, 06:14 AM

It would also help if you could tell us WHEN you will be in Edinburgh. Many hotels are reasonably priced in the off season, but go up considerably during the busier months.

I recently booked a room at the Old Waverley Hotel on Princess Street across the street from Waverley Station for 94 GBP with breakfast and VAT on their website. I felt this was very reasonable considering the excellent location and the fact that breakfast was included. Many hotels I checked did not include breakfast in their rates.
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replys. I am planing on going in June and I'm looking for a hotel for around 100-150 pounds.
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:29 AM

The Balmoral.
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:42 AM

Anyone heard of the Cairn hotel in Edinburgh? I am going in August - want to see the Tattoo but prices are WAY up. This sounds decent and near the city center - and i'm splurging on the Dalhousie Castle hotel for my last night. Cairn was 59 pounds/night
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Please don't stay at an Ibis, basic is putting it very mildly. I once experienced one at Luton airport thinking it would be favourable to returning home tired, however, the later would have been much more favourable than the former.
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:35 AM

We had a very positive experience at the Royal Circus Hotel. It's in a quieter part of town that's full of beautiful 18th century townhomes and a small park across the street. The walk to the Royal Mile, crossing Princes Street on the way, is about 15 minutes. We spent 4 days in Edinburgh, and had no problems getting around using this hotel as a home base. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We came for the Tattoo and the Festival in August, and they got our Tattoo tickets for us. They were waiting at the desk when we arrived. There's a small restaurant, good for breakfast, and a lounge. The hotel was under renovation while we were there. Our room hadn't been done yet, but we saw what they were doing, and it looked great. I would stay there again, were I lucky enough to go back.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:14 AM

Try the Point; the Apex in the Grassmarket or teh Apex at Haymarket or the Macdonald Holyrood