Hotels in Edinburgh

Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:15 AM
Lee

Hotels in Edinburgh

I'm looking to stay in a very centrally located hotel in Edinburgh. I was there for a couple of day trips in 1999 (took the train from Glasgow) and loved it.

If anyone has stayed at the Royal Terrace Hotel, Bank Hotel, or Tailors Hall Hotel, please let me know. From Internet research, they all seem reasonable and are still open for dates in late May (yes - I know this is last minute). The Bank is right on the Royal Mile but the others only say they are within "minutes" of the city centre.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks....Lee

Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:35 AM
Tony Hughes

Bank Hotel is good location - I presume it's double-glazed as it lies at a busy intersection. The Royal Mile can be quite 'busy' with people even late at night, it's a thought to remember.

Royal Terrace is a bit of a walk (at a gradient).

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:08 AM
Lee

Thanks, Tony. Re: street noise on the Royal Mile...actually, I normally don't have too much trouble with street noise. I stayed in the Hotel St. Louis in Paris in May '97 with the windows open and lots of activity below on the Rue St. Louis-en-l'Ile. Managed to sleep pretty well anyway!

I don't mind walking but I may be on my own for a bit so I want a centrally located hotel so I won't have to travel too far in the evening for dinner.

Lee

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:18 AM
Jamila

You should definitely check out the Carlton Hotel on Northbridge. It is smack in the city center. It's between Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace. The Royal Mile is a hop, skip and jump away. I stayed there in month for a couple days. It's newly renovated hotel. I booked my stay on www.totalstay.com. For 2 people with VAT and breakfast, we paid a total of $286 for 2 nights. It's a beautiful hotel with workout room, whirlpool and pool. There is every amenity you can think of in the room.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:07 AM
Lee

Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:55 PM
Jamila

What do you mean by "top"? If you are referring to the fact that I did not comment on the hotels you asked about, duh. I was merely giving you an excellent recommendation.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:00 PM
janis

Jamila, Jamila, - relax. Lee wasn't "dissing" you. "Top" is merely shorthand for "to the top" which brings the thread to the top of the forum.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:20 PM
Jamila

haha. Ok. thanks for clearing the "top" thing up.

Apr 4th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Lee

Not dissing anyone! I thank you Jamila for the hotel recommendation. I am totally open to anyone letting me know of other hotels in the center of Edinburgh besides the ones I'd read about.
I can't pay TOP dollar (prices like $300-$400 per night are beyond me!) and but don't mind spending a bit extra to have a place near the Royal Mile, etc.

Thanks again.

Apr 4th, 2002, 11:08 AM
kitty

I highly recommend the Castle View Guest House. It is 1/2 a block off of Prince's Street which is a main shopping street in Edinburgh. From the window seat in our room we had a great view of Edinburgh Castle so the B&B is on that end of the Royal Mile. Great B&B, large room, clean, and good breakfast. Also is very quiet. It is on the 4th and 5th floor of a building with no elevator so you do have to climb stairs to get to the B&B. If my 42 year old legs can do it then so can most people. www.castleviewgh.co.uk is the website. Price is 25 to 45 pounds per person per night inclusive of breakfast and has bathrooms in the room.

Apr 5th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Lee

Thanks, Kitty. I'll check out that website. I've been on Princes St. briefly on my way to the National Gallery but never got a chance to explore that area during my day trips. Sounds like a great location.

Lee

Apr 5th, 2002, 04:02 AM
brownie

We booked a Parkgate apartment which is near Holyroom Palace and the new Parliament for August and are paying 800 pounds for 2 weeks. Mind you this is peak season though I was just off the phone to the ownder a few days ago who was commenting how everything is already booked up in edinburgh even now.

If interested, send me an e-mail.