Hotels in Dubrovnik

Search

Hotels in Dubrovnik

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Dubrovnik

We have narrowed down our choices for 3 nights in Dubrovnik. This will be our first stop after a LONG flight. Would like to hear your opinions on the Bellevue (our first choice), Hilton Imperial, Excelsior and the Palace. Thanks! Janice
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM

Only because of the view, my first choice is the Excelsior. It is an easy 10 minute walk into the old town and has just had some remodeling done on the entrance. However you must get a sea view, it is just lovely.
Hilton now runs the Imperial, which was totally destroyed during the war. It is a lovely property and you can get a sea view on the highest floors. It is located on a very busy road, local and tour bus route. However the rooms and the hotel are just lovely.
The Bellevue is outside of the old town and will probably take you about 15 minutes or so to walk into town. Again a hotel which has been redone since the war and a totally different view, mostly the sea.
The Palace is a bus ride away from the old town. I have not seen this property for a couple of years, however it also has been redone and has a great sea view. It would be my last choice as it's too far from the Stari Grad (old town).
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:20 AM

id always try to stay as close to the old town as possible
the atmosphere is just different
we stayed in an apartment in the old town in a little alley with cats and window boxes and washing hanging out

wonderful stuff
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM

I can only comment on how I reached a decision as to where to stay for trip this May/June. My final choices were similar to yours and after much reseach, I decided on the Bellevue. I wasn't sure that the Hilton could guarantee a room with a sea view and usually try to avoid American style chain hotels. The lack of sea views eliminated the Palace. I thought both places might be too busy/noisy. I can't remember why I passed on the Excelsior. I choose the Bellevue becuse having a sea view was high on my list of requirements. It also had a number of positive reviews from a variety of sources. I don't mind the 10/15 walk from Old Town, and a private beach was a plus. I think all the hotels you mentioned are excellent. It's just a matter of determining your priorities.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM

You may want to recheck with the Beellevue as it is my understanding the beach is not private. It is open to the public, as long as they pay the entrance fee. However things can change here very quickly and this may have changed since the past summer.
The view from the Excelsior is not only of the old town, but also the sea and the island of Lokrum. It is quite spectacular.
The Hilton only run the Imperial and I do not consider this anything close to an American style chain hotel. The Grand Imperial was destroyed during the war, however she has been rebuilt and the outer facade is the same as it was prior to its destruction. The rooms are now very comfortable and the higher floor does have a sea view. Being just a few minutes from Stari Grad does have it's advantages.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM

I believe you are correct in that the beach is semi-private. I'm not a beach person but I like the idea of a morning swim. I'll spend most of my time exploring the town.

I am familar with the Hilton Grand Imperial and if I was choosing a hotel based on its exterior, the Hilton would win hands down. However, in viewing the rooms, I saw little difference between most of the hotels. I have stayed at a number of chain hotels through out Europe, and many bear little resemblance to their usual conterparts. I admit to a prejudice in this regard.

As I stated in my OP, there are a number of excellent hotels in Dubrovnik. I doubt if one can make a bad decision.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM

I can't speak to the others, but we thought the Hilton was great--so centrally located. I did think, however, that the standard of service was slightly different than what I expect here. For example, I felt brand(Hilton) loyalty was less valued there than it is here. We posted a trip report at www.hitherandthither.net about our summer trip to Croatia and Montenegro.