hotels in andalucia

Search

hotels in andalucia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in andalucia

I am looking for hotels in a beachy region of andalucia for our honeymoon. I have heard estepona is a nice area. Initially we were looking to get a rental for a week, but now i am not sure. Does anyone know any nice hotels, on or right near the beach that will be under $150/night. the Kemplinski (sp?) hotel looks gorgeous, but super pricey. I haven't really been able to find much else, and I am not familiar with which areas are the resorty areas of the costa de sol. Thanks!! karen
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 12:20 PM

spooner11,
The resort area of Marbella-Estepona is the Costa del Sol's most upscale/fashionable section, and the 5 star resorts popular with honeymooners have prices to match. The Kempinski, Puente Romano, Marbella Club, Los Monteros, Westin La Quinta and Las Dunas in high season will be over $250 per night.
But there's a new kid on the block (beach) in Estepona, the H10 Estepona. You can see it and view rates at www.h10.es. Looks like high season rates run around $150, and H10s include a nice buffet breakfast in the rate.
I haven't seen their new Estepona outpost yet, (hoping olga might have some insider scoop about it), but the H10 is an up and coming, hip and modern chain based in Catalunya that tries to match the AC and NH groups in style and attention to detail. They're planning to add a spa/wellness center to this beach resort in '04.

The El Fuerte and El Fuerte Miramar Spa in busy downtown Marbella right on the beach run around the same price.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:54 PM

Hi Spooner,
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. What a romantic place for a honeymoon!

OK, I feel as if I'm starting to sound like an advertisement for Petrabax.com and bancotel vouchers, (and we haven't even stayed at the places yet), but I got El Fuerte Miramar Spa for $63 a night through them, so it might be worth checking out. We're going in a few weeks, so I will report back how it works out, so if you can wait a month before booking, I'll let you know. Otherwise, check out their website and do a topic search under "bancotel". Good luck.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 04:53 PM

sooner11,
When's your upcoming honeymoon?

I always forget to mention the bancotel coupons because conditions of use vary so widely.

If in high season, July, Aug., you'll find very limited availability using just 1 bancotel coupon per night in the Marbella-Estepona area, since hotels have full occupancy and don't need to fill their beds via the coupon scheme.

But from Oct-June (except for Easter) the story is quite different.
During those months you can stay in a standard double at the Westin La Quinta for 3 bancotel coupons per night, 150 euros, if booked far enough ahead.
Also at the 5 star Le Meridien Los Monteros in a standard double or even suite if available, for only 150 euros per night, 3 coupons per night, if you purchase the coupons on www.bancotel.com and pick them up at your Spain hotel.
Also the El Fuerte Miramar Spa is available for just 50 euros per night, 1 coupon, in Oct.-Dec., Jan-March.
At Xmas, wkds in April/Sept., every day in May/June, rooms are available for 100 euros, 2 coupons per night.
(The bancotel program is complicated, except in off season)

But if you go thru bancotel rather than petrobax you MUST purchase the coupons in booklets of 5. So if you stay 5 nights at the Westin or Los Monteros, you'll need 3 coupon booklets. Petrobax sells bancotel coupons individually but charges that nomnal fee to send them to you-still a great deal if your dates fit.

Speaking of the new El Fuerte Miramar, we inspected it for friends and for business in April (it was 70 F that day!).
It's about 200 meters east of the mother hotel, El Fuerte, also on the beach, but on a much less attractive block that hasn't been very developed yet. But the hotel building itself is quite attractive, snazzy for the low price. It's a very narrow property, squeezed in between exiting structures, only 4 rooms on each floor with balconies facing the ocean, the rest face the walls of neighboring buildings. So if you book here, please let the desk know it's for your honeymoon and please request a SEA view!
It has a nice heated outdoor pool, tiny beach which does have a handy little beach bar. Beaches here are public, but it seems like it's the hotel's own slice of beach. Pretty lobby done in terracotta, attractive downstairs bar, and the downstairs restaurant is non-smoking, plus no shorts or beach attire for dinner. The building boom in Marbella is so frenetic, it's very frustrating to get around by car and dodge the construction cranes and blocked off streets, so I wouldn't rent one for your stay if you choose downtown. Just take the day excursions offered by the hotel. The Miramar does charge a fee for its guests to use the gym at El Fuerte. And the Miramar spa services are a la carte.

Forgot to mention the brand new 4 star Gran Hotel Guadalpín, which has received solid reviews here and on tripadvisor. It's next to the convention center, the Palacio de Congresos but 200 meters from the beach. You can book it on travelocity.
Don't know what prices run-depends, of course, on season. It also has a spa and truly beautiful, luxurious restaurant, "Mesana", with a hot chef, Ramón Freixa, who was voted best chef of the yr. by Gourmetour in '01. Another option for you in downtown Marbella.

And congratulations, as well!
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

we are going in the end of june. we are going to fly into madrid, take the train to seville, then go to the andalucia area. Thanks for all the advice! karen
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 10:00 AM

If you're going to Seville and then to Andalucia, you might want to make a one-night stop in Ronda en route to the beach. The drive from Sevilla south is absolutely beautiful, and Ronda would be a great one night stop... There's a hotel - I'm going to have to check the name and repost - right on the edge of the gorge, and they have rooms that literally hang off the edge. They're very reasonably priced and have two floors - these rooms are incredible. The only reason I suggest this is because this hotel would be the most romantic place for your first night in Spain!!!! There's a restaurant on the top floor of the hotel that is excellent, with a view of the entire gorge.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 10:09 AM

The Parador in Ronda - it was under $100 two years ago.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 06:28 PM

spooner11,
In April we stayed for 2 nights at the Ronda Parador (and could easily have added 1 more day to explore in greater depth the surrounding perched Moorish white towns) in a large and luxurious room with sitting area and balcony facing the gorge for 135 euros, without breakfast or parking.

The hotel is quite modern, somewhat anonymous, not particularly "rondeño" at all, not replete with charm, and no antiques, but the rooms themselves and views were the best that we had in our Andalucía journey. The gorge view rooms carry an added supplement. And there's a huge "honeymoon suite", but I don't remeber what room number, maybe #216 or #218. The desk staff obviously can tell you. They told me that the best (and most romantic) views are from rooms 130-119 and 213-219. This is a truly terrific honeymoon spot on the way from Seville to Marbella. So relaxing, so serene, particularly at night when the day trippers return to the coast.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:15 PM

Ronda is a definite must . Parador rm211 is 2 story 179e/nt. Skip Marbella it is cancun with ugly gravel beach. el Fuerte main is a dump.