Hotels for Cote D'Azur, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be grateful for advice on charming hotels between Nice and St Tropez. I am looking for some special places to stay on the coast. A swimming pool would be nice but is not essential and I want somewhere nice but not overly expensive.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:24 AM

The most charming hotel I know isn't on the coast but above it, near St-Paul-de-Vence. It's called Le Hameau (or perhaps now Auberge Le Hameau) and is a small group of buildings set in an orchard. The pool is magnificent, with views across to the Mediterranean. The rooms are all different; there are even a few bungalows set by themselves. Prices are quite reasonable for the area. You can be at the coast in around 15 minutes.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Sounds perfect - I shall look it up.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:19 AM

Jennie, many people find the village of Villefranche (just east of Nice, so not exactly the location you requested) a good location for moderately priced hotels on the coast. I've stayed at the hotel Welcome there. It has no pool but there is a beach in Villefranche. The hotel is in front of a marina. My room had a small balcony looking out to the water and the boats. Jean Cocteau lived in Villefranche at one point in his life, so the hotel has many Cocteau-type murals and drawings.

Other hotels in Villefranche that have been mentioned here are the Flore and the Versailles, both with pools. None of these IMO will have the charm of Le Hameau.

Other b & bs in the hills not far from Le Hameau that have been mentioned here are Bastide aux Olivers in Vence,
La Mas du Soleil in Tourrettes sur Loup, just beyond Vence and Le Mas d'Artigny in the Vence area. le Mas Au Loup near Tourrettes is another that's been mentioned but no reviews I can see on tripadvisor. Here's the website

http://www.lemasauloup.com/

A poster Francie mentioned some time ago the Hotel Castel Garoupe in Cap D'Antibe which is more the location I think you want. She wrote

"located right on the Cap. It is more of an apt-style hotel/Villa nestled amongst some of the finest villas around. It has a small swimming pool and tennis courts plus nice breakfast included in price. It is a few short blocks from the beautiful, posh Eden Roc Hotel just to give you a hint of the nice area it is located at. They also have a website, if interested. If you will be driving a car, there is free parking in the back. We have always experienced good times here. Good luck."

I've looked at this place on the internet and it doesn't look very "charming" relative to these other b & bs but is on a beach and is more centrally located.

Good luck.

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - your advice is very helpful.