Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:18 AM
Buzzy

I stumbled upon a website for an area of south east France. It looks interesting. A mix of nice lakes and mountains. It is near Die which is not far from Valence.

I searched this site for info and one poster said that the rule in this area was to "stay away from the Rhone" and that this was just a thoroughfare. Has anyone else got any experience of this area. I can't beleive it's that bad the picktures look so atractive.

Buzzy

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Die, home of the famous Clairette de Die, a sweetish wine, is in spectacular countryside far from the Rhone.

The Rhone is a busy shipping and driving corridor. It has picturesque bits and of course major historic places are located on the Rhone, e.g. Lyon.

The remark seems pointless: Can you imagine staying away from NYC because you might have to take a freeway to get there or transit through Hoboken?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:34 AM
Buzzy

Thanks very much. You have reassured me regarding the countryside in the area. It's just the writer of the other post also reffered to Valence as a through road which made it all sound as though it was a dead zone. I'm looking for pretty villages, good food and wine, lakes to swim in, summer entertainments and a weather warm enough to swim in the open in August. Something which unfortunately I did not get this year in France. Am I on the right track? Other regions we have visited include Normandy, Brittany, Poitou Charente (this year), Dordogne, Provence, Lorraine.

Thanks for your help

Buzzy

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:58 AM
rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34520252

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:27 AM
Buzzy

I know exactly what you mean. Just after I posted this thread I recognised the fact that I had given it the most useless title. By then it was too late. I just did it too quickly and obviously my brain wasn't in gear. Don't worry I've given myself a darn good thrashing and I hope I'll never do it again.

Buzzy