Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where have you stayed in a gite in France?

Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

There are reviews with links for all kinds of apartments in France. How about sharing some of your favorite gites in France. I find the search for gites even more perplexing. If not the link to the particular gite, how about what town you stayed in and whether you liked it.
Come on Stu - you can't get back to all 25, so throw them some business.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM

e-mail me.

Stu Dudley
Mar 24th, 2007, 04:44 AM

We've stayed in 4 or 5 places in Brittany which varied in style and niceness; and we like our own pace which is so let to others, down in the Midi-Pyrenees. Not to mention a God-awful house we stayed in in the Dordogne

It's pretty hopeless us telling you what WE liked. What are you looking for? Posh, family friendly, by the sea, ina village, in the country, with a pool? Give us a clue.
Mar 24th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sheila
Thanks for your response.
We have some places on our list for next time:
Burgundy around Lyon, Auxerre
Nice and Aix-en-Provence area of Provence
Puy de Dome combined with Lot

I was hoping to get some inspiration - maybe someone saying, "Have you ever thought of...".
Or "we stayed in an amazing gite in ...."
We are not travelling with kids. We like to mingle, sight-see, eat so probably in a village as opposed to country.
Suggestions?
Mar 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Normandy, near Villers Bocage and not far from Bayeux. It was a 17th-century farmhouse owned by a very cordial and helpful couple.
http://www.gites-de-france-calvados.....asp?gite=5408
Mar 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Robjame
Specify whether you want a B&B, or a Gite with a kitchen, LR/DR, multiple bedrooms, etc.

Stu Dudley
Mar 24th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Yes... we are looking for suggestions for gites as opposed to B&B cause we like to visit markets and cook as well as eat out.
One bedroom is all we really need though we wouldn't disqualify a place with more room.
Washing machine is a definite plus but pools, elaborate hifis etc aren't high on the wish list.
Having said that we like a place to be nice, reasonably well set up and stocked for cooking, and living with linens, towels etc.
A place where we could hunker down for 2+ weeks and have enough to do and see and visit in the immediate vicinity.
We are staying in Dordogne, in Carlux for 4 weeks this fall so this would be spring or fall 2008.
Mar 24th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I have no interest in gites, but one of my colleages swears by them. She is Chinese and married to a Frenchman. Every time she returns from a vacation in France, she is delighted by the gites and can give information on the families running them to the 4th generation. And she also extirpates information for the surrounding 50 kilometers, so if you are that kind of person, gites are for you.
Mar 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM

I guess my slight problem is that I've never stayed anywhere with fewer than 9 of us. (You need to remember, too, that Gites de France run Chambres d'Hotes as well as self catering, which is the reason for Stu's query)

I couldn't recommend more highly Finsterre in Brittany. Our own patch has some lovely places, but they're well off the beaten track.

Mirande in the Gers; Madiran and Viella in Hautes Pyrenees; Arreau in the mountains- would be some suggestions
Mar 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Not an official Gites as in Gites de France but we stayed in a lovely house in St Hyppolite, Aveyron. It was nicel placed for visiting a good chunk of central France from Puy de Dome southwards. I think it is only bookable through Dutch agents though.
Mar 24th, 2007, 01:26 PM

We prefer villages over countryside, largely because the morning walk for bread is so ingrained (oh, what a horrible pun). We have also been very happy in towns of perhaps 10,000 or so, big enough to have restaurants, other services, and perhaps a weekly market.

We have never actually rented a gîte from Gîtes de France, but have instead found all of ours through French Connections, Holiday Rentals, and VRBO.

In the village category, Saignon stands out as one of our best. Stu has pointed out in the past that you end up driving through Apt in order to go to the western end of the Luberon, but we loved it nonetheless. A woman named Henrietta Taylor offers two beautiful houses there, but a couple by themselves might find them a bit too big. (We rented Rose cottage with my brother and his wife in 2003: www.henriettataylor.com)

Also in the village category, we rented that place in Montaigut-le-Blanc in Auvergne (you've seen the reference in the trip report, robjame).

I would recommend either of these two places for a week's stay, or perhaps even two. We have stayed in other small villages in Provence and Languedoc that were intriguing, but none had the complete enjoyment of these two I have mentioned.

Moving on to towns, there are two in particular that we loved: Uzès and Nyons. Both are big enough to offer variety but small enough that you don't feel frustrated with traffic every time you attempt to make a day trip out into the countryside.

The small house that we rented in Uzès is unfortunately no longer listed for rent, which is very unfortunate, as it was perfect for two. The house in Nyons was a new build, almost villa-like in a group of new houses. The ambiance factor was about -2, so while otherwise a great rental, I won't go looking for a link to the listing. Nice town, nonetheless, and if you could find a suitable rental there, I think you'd enjoy the area.

You mentioned Millau on your recent trip report and said you found it appealing. I'd second that. It looks a bit larger than Uzès, but I could see us staying there for a week.

Anselm
Mar 26th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. We have spent the weekend surfing.
Stu I know you navigate that whole resinfrance thing successfully but you wonder why they don't overhaul it to be user friendly. I think that it only works in conjunction with the book. I really like the idea of a place in a village where you are n a bit of a community can walk to some shops.
Anselm - it looks like Henrietta has three places now. The Rose cottage looks lovely and I can see why you like it.
Your place in Montaigut-le-Blanc is one that has a lot of appeal, especially remembering your cooking out of a suitcase.
I could find nothing in Millau other than a 12 bedroom castle. In fact nothing even really close but will keep looking.
Mar 26th, 2007, 09:27 AM

We stayed in a lovely little gite in the arrière-pays niçois, in a pretty old village called Berre les Alpes, perched on a hilltop about half an hour inland from Nice. It was a nice free-standing gîte with its own terrace and barbecue, and access to a beautiful garden and a gorgeous swimming pool which the owners never used. It was very hot when we were there, but we managed a couple of trips to Nice, a daytrip to Grasse, various drives through the hilltop villages and a daytrip along the coast road to Italy (Ventimiglia), plus a couple of days of lazing around cooking, reading and eating.
Mar 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM

>>Stu I know you navigate that whole resinfrance thing successfully but you wonder why they don't overhaul it to be user friendly.<<

I've never been able to use RESINFRANCE successfully. I don't even bother to use if if I'm searching for a Gite is a department that uses RESiNFRANCE software. Each Department in France (90 or so of them) is free to use any software they want. The Dordogne uses RESINFRANCE, and I've never been able to get it to work when selecting Gites. Most other software (ITEA, for example) work OK.

I was researching Gites in the Haute Alps yesterday, and every query timed-out.

I don't know why they are unable to fix it or make it more user friendly. If you have ever used the French SNCF web site, and then used the German BAHN site, you will discover another example of poor web site design by the French. This subject was actually a feature in the "Paris Notes" newsletter a year ago.

Stu Dudley
Mar 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Stayed in several Gites, Normandy and Brittany mainly. They vary in quality.
They are a great way to holiday in the beautiful French countryside.

The only one we went to that we would stay clear of is in Vire France.

The owners are a real pain in the arse. I could write a book about their interfering ways.

They spoilt our holiday there. It was a shame because the Gite itself was nice.

If you wish to know its name please email me.

Just as a guide, if the owners live on site don't bother.
Muck
Mar 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM

A quick note about Henrietta Taylor's houses: the third one--Villa Agapanthe--is in St-Saturin-les-Apt. I believe Kevin Widrow, a frequent poster here and owner of Le Mas Perréal, lives near there.

I find the search engines for French Connections and Holiday Rentals difficult to use if you are looking for accommodation in a specific town. VRBO, for example, lets you enter "Millau" in the search box. The other two require you to search by area, which can be a pain in the neck.

Anselm
Mar 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Robjame,

I also have spent hours on the gite website, struggling through the selections. We really wanted a gite in a village and that's quite a challenge.

Finally I found one, in the village of Belcastel in the Aveyron. Belcastel is labeled as one of the beautiful French villages. I believe the gite is actually owned by the village. There are 2 gites here. Our gite is AYG3017.

While we haven't stayed there yet, I contacted someone who had and he was delighted with their stay.

Good luck, and don't give up!

We also have another gite booked for May close to Sare in the Basque area. I'll report back on that when we return. It's not in a village but very close to several.