Hotels/B&B in Normandy/Bayeux

Jun 1st, 2007, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Hotels/B&B in Normandy/Bayeux

In planning our July vacation to Europe I have discovered the wonderful word of Fodorites! Hope someone can help. Three generations will be visiting Normandy July 25 - 29, ages 75 to 13 (total of 6 people). I have tried the many suggestions already listed in previous threads and everything seems to be booked. We are seeking accomodations that are clean, good beds and great food - we don't need anything fancy as we are planning on siteseeing and spending only a small amount of time in our rooms. Visiting D-Day sites for two days and Mont St. Michel third day. Any accomodation suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Jun 2nd, 2007, 01:30 AM

I hope you haven't already tried La Lande...they may be booked, but if not we LOVE this B&B run by an English couple named Ted & Linda Malindine. Ted is a historian and WWII expert and does a magnificent private tour. The B&B is a restored farm house Ted & Linda restored. My husband and I have done the tour three times, with both sets of our parents and alone on our first trip. The B&B itself is absolutely lovely. They prefer to be found by word of mouth and are not big advertisers, but here is an article about them written by some of my former journalism colleagues, who turned us onto their B&B in the first place a few years ago:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...1normandy.html

They are listed in this guidebook:

http://www.sawdays.co.uk/search/disp...FileID=FBB2056

And here are a couple reviews on TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...-Normandy.html

The rooms are about 75 Euro per night theses days, and the tour is around 100 Euro for the day for two people (you provide the car - you'll need one to get up there anyway). Not sure of the rate for a large group. You can take the train to Cherbourg and then it's about 20 minutes by car. One time we drove the whole way from Paris by car, and another time we took a train to Rouen, had lunch and toured the city, and then drove a rental car from there.

Here is Linda & Ted's email: [email protected].

Hope you get to stay there and do the tour - you won't regret it, I promise!

Have a great trip!
Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:35 AM

You may have spotted that logis-de-france.fr is one of my favorites. Lots of small hotels (always clean with good local food) at good price. There are loads in Normandy
Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:34 AM

For a very clean basic hotel with car park and larger than usual rooms all on ground floor--Hotel Bayeux. Five minutes to the Cathedral and to the Tapestry.
Best meal of our trip that year was in Bayeux at Le Petite Bistro. Make a reservation.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:42 AM

Our family stayed here:
http://www.moulin-morin.com/

Self catering and it was a perfect location for the D Day beaches and very close to the center of Bayeux.

Most places will be booked for July, but keep looking.

Muck

Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:31 AM

When I visited Mont St. Michel, I stayed at La Vieille Auberge. I loved staying there because it was actually on the Mont, not the mainland. It is a hike so I am not sure how that will impact your group concerning the age span.

La Vieille Auberge
Grande Rue Intra Muros
Mont Saint MichelPh: 011 33 60 14 34
Fax: 011 33 02 33 70 87 04

My dad just returned from Normandy and he stayed at Hotel Churchill in Bayeux and enjoyed the stay.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM

We stayed at Lion d'Or in Bayeux last year. It was very nice, and the food was good. I second eating dinner at Le Petite Bistro. It was probably the best meal we had.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM

Another vote for Le Petit (no "e") Bistro.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM

Did you try Ferme de la Ranconniere? I stayed there recently for 4 nights and wrote about it in my Normandy trip report. It would be perfect for your three generation family. They have a wonderful "lounge" room where you can congregate after dinner - nice for families. My standard room was 105 euros, which included breakfast and a great dinner every night. You can't beat that! Also, I loved the location in the countryside near the beaches.
It's popular, though, so may be booked at that time.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Have sent emails to all and waiting for responses. Will continue to ask for help as I plan two week vacation - it's great to get input from those who've been there!
Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:09 AM

Hello tw:

You may wish to consider la Cheneviere, a rural hotel near Port en Bessim, which is listed in the SLH of the world. We spent a week there and had a wonderful time. It is well located for tours and has a great full service restaurant and bar --much appreciated after a day of touring. Gradyghost