Help planning trip to Normandy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am hoping some of the forum users can help us plan our trip. We want to spend a week in Normandy this October with 3 children ages 3 to 8. We'd appreciate any advice on places to stay with children, Normandy battle sites (hubby is interested), attractions for the kids, weather in October, transportation from London area.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Hi Karenbug - My husband & I were in Normandy in 4/01. We stayed in Bayeux, a very nice small town. From there we took day trips to the various battlefield sites. Bayeux, at the time, had an English tourist info. center that had many brochures, maps and even some guided tours going to the sites. They were very helpful. It's such a beautiful countryside. The American cemetery is lovely & a must-see. Also you could drive down to Mt. St. Michel for the day. We did this - I think it took ~2 hours but there was road construction so it may be closer. Back to WWII stuff- I liked the Caen Museum & the view & museum at Arromanches. Pont du Hoc also a must see. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM

We were just in Normandy in May and had a wonderful stay at La Lande, a B&B owned by Ted and Linda Malindine. Here is a link that has info on their B&B: http://www.specialplacestostay.com/s...FileID=FBB2056

Even if you don't stay at that B&B, book a D-Day tour with Ted -- our was fantastic. I posted a long trip report which tells about our tour, but I can't seem to get the report to show up using the search function so I am going to top it for you so it should be easy to find. It is titled A Working Vacation: Paris, Normandie and Versailles.

Also, www.specialplacestostay.com has bunches of great B&Bs to chose from -- you can search by region using their map and check out info on each B&B, and there are some that cater to families specificially. I really like this site and the series of books -- the variety of places to stay and price ranges is great!

Normandy is beautiful and I think it is definitely family-friendly -- I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Hi Karen
We are going to be in Normandy for 3 days July 8-10. Then a couple of other places. Will let you know when we get back. Our hotel is B/W Luxemberg Four Seasons in Bayeux. Stay tuned.
shrink
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Weather: Dismal, gray and frequently rainy - can be blustery as well. Highs in 40s or low 50s.