Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Selenza or AC Recoletos in Madrid?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading and doing lots of research I have fallen in love with the Selenza Hotel in Madrid. Price seems to slide around $225-250 on various websites (Tablet, expedia). I also like the AC Recoletos for location and contemporary design and price is about $50 less per night. Does anyone have opinions on either hotels? We will be there in early May for 3 nights.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Anyone out there that has stayed at either hotel?
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:59 PM

I have not stayed at THAT AC hotel, but in general, I find them to be very sleek with a few perks ( free minibar, paper, etc.)
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 08:08 AM

I personally like the 4-star AC Recoletos, great location and service, but the 5-star Selenza isn't bad and gets a good writeup in Maribel's Guide to Hotels in Madrid. They also have an excellent restaurant, Ramón Freixa Madrid. The difference in price has to do with one being a 4-star and the other a 5-star deluxe property with only 44 rooms.

The AC Recoletos is now part of the AC Marriott hotel group, so you can get your Marriott points by staying there, our if you have enough points, a discount.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 08:24 AM

I do not know the Selenza, however I have stayed twice at the AC Recoletos and was very pleased both times. As you mention, it is a contemporary, hip kind of place more with a minimalist pure look - not to everyone's liking. Free mini-bar a nice perk, loved the Hi-Fi in the room (brought some of our own CD's as well). Be aware that if you are traveling with someone you do not know very well, there is only a frosted glass wall between the bedroom and the bathroom. As you probably know,, the location is fantastic !

I would return again without hesitation, provided the price is adequate. FWIW, the first time I paid 120 euros, and the second time we snapped a special rate of 100 euros with breakfast included. I am not sure it would be worth it to me to pay more than say 140 euros or so. But that is only my own opinion
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses. Both hotels sound great -will have to decide soon. Maybe spend less per night and splurge more on food!