Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Room in Venice for 4 ppl - Under $200?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a group of 4 adults and 3 young kids (ages 2-9). We have reservations for a quad room and double room (youngest child has a travel crib) at Pensione Guerrato but we recently changed our itinerary to add a day to our time in Venice. Unfortunately Guerrato is booked for the extra day. We need to find another hotel for the day of our arrival or for the entire stay.

I'd rather avoid staying in a place for only one night, so I'd rather find a comparable hotel and spend the entire time there, but will consider a lesser value for one night if it is nearby Guerrato and we can switch easily enough.

Does anyone know of a place that offers a quad room for around $200 per night (we are paying 170 EUR at Guerrato for the quad)? Two doubles would also work but less than ideal with young kids, not to mention harder to find (doubles @ <$100). I like the area around Rialto, particularly San Polo - nice neighborhood a bit away from the tourist fray yet very central to all the main sights that if anyone gets tired/cranky, etc. it is an easy walk back to the hotel.

I found two options that are not ideal, but can work if no better options are found. One is the Hotel Bartolomeo which has 3 rooms @100 EUR each and is just over the Rialto bridge from Guerrato. If we chose this one, we would probably stay here just for the night, as a quad room is preferrable.

The other I found is Hotel Campiello which has a Quad room @ 195 EUR. Not bad but a bit more than we'd like to pay and not the location I originally wanted but looks nice nevertheless. We'd probably stay here for the whole stay and cancel our other reservations if we chose this one since it is not that close to the other place, especially with luggage and kids in tow.

I am not familiar with either of these places but the reviews on TA and Venere look positive. Anyone have experience with either of these places, positive or negative? Other recomendations? Which would you choose, stay nearby our original place (at Bartolomeo or elsewhere) for a night and switch, or pay the extra money to stay put for the etire stay (at Campiello or elsewhere)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, ripit!

How long all together are you staying? If 3 nights or more you might find an apartment offered better value - usually more space for the same price!

you will find loads if you google "apartments in Venice"

regards, ann
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ann, thanks for the reply. We considered going the Apt. route, however decided we'd rather stay at a proper hotel with maid service, front desk for recommendations and other services (babysitting?!!!).
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM

How about the Corte Grimani? Children 8 and under stay free and the B&B is terrific. We loved our stay there! It is close to St. Mark's, but removed from the hubbub.

Here's the link:
http://www.cortegrimani.com

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Plus, it's a B&B with all the hotel services.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Corte Grimani looks great.... unfortunately it looks like they are booked during our stay

I'll send an email to be sure.

Thanks for the recomendation in either case.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Hotel Messner in Dorsoduro has quad rooms starting just under $200:

http://www.veniceby.com/messner/index.html
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

I heard back from Corte Grimaldi and they have availability for our stay, however it is more than we'd like to spend (EUR 210 per night + 50 EUR per stay to use the kitchen, no breakfast) and they have a pretty draconian cancellation policy (Fee for whole stay is charged if you cancel within 15 days, first night if within 30 days).

I also heard from Hotel Campiello and the price was a bit better at EUR 175. Cancellation policy is also more reasonable, but still a bit weird - within 5 days first night is charged but must be in writing (email or fax) and we must receive a written reply or the reservation is not considered cancelled.

At this point I am leaning towards Campiello or finding a place near Guerrato for 1 night and switching over. I'd prefer to stay in one place but I really like the location near Rialto better. The Grmaldi looks great and is well located, however it is a bit out of our price range.

Any suggestions or other recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, ripit,

if cancellation policies are a real worry to you, you might find that one of the discount hotel booking organisations would be better eg www.venere.com, booking.com et al. some allow cancellation up to 24 hours before the booking, but they all have different policies, so you need to check this before you book.

regards, ann
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM
MaureenB

The Casa Rezzonico has quad rooms for 220E, and also triple rooms. The price includes breakfast. It's a nice little hotel in the Dorsoduro. Some rooms overlook a canal, some overlook their courtyard garden area. www.casarezzonico.it
Good luck.
>-

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM

In Venice I think it preferable to stay away from the busy tourist spots, e.g., Piazza San Marco and the Rialto. Leaving out the Guidecca, the whole town's pretty small and easily walked.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Our family of 5 with 3 small kids is booked at Locanda ca Del Brocchi in June for less than 200 e for family room. Cash gets additional discount...Tripadvisor reviews looked great. might want to take a look..
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Here's a few quads - all under $200/night

http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/hotel/hotel-mimosa.html

http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/hotel...a-lunetta.html

http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/hotel/hotel-arenula.html Best amenities: AC: All Rooms, Bathrooms: En Suite, Hair Dryer, Telephone, Toiletries, TV
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Duh! Never mind. However, you can use look for some cheap quads here:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/venice/