Hotel reservations messed up

Mar 19th, 2001, 08:31 PM
bettersafe

Hotel reservations messed up

What can you do if you arrive in Paris and find your hotel reservations messed up and there is no room at the inn for you? How can you get a hotel room on such short notice? Are there services or agencies that can help? Has anyone here had to contend with having to find a room at the (very) last minute?

Mar 20th, 2001, 01:21 AM
Ursula

Bettersafe: First, make sure to have a written confirmation (fax) with you. Check-in as early you can the day you arrive in Paris even if you can't get to your room until let's say 2 pm or so.
If the hotel should really turn out the be fuly booked, they are likely to find something for you in one of their partner hotels nearby. This is what happened to my sister last year at a Best Western-hotel in Paris. The hotel found a room in a different BW-hotel in the neighborhood.
I would definitely insist that the hotel which messed up your reservation must find something for you. I and sure they will.

Mar 20th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Fred

If you have a written confirmation from the hotel you won't have a problem. Every once in a while someone with a confirmation from a hotel agency arives to find the hotel has no recored of it. If you make a reservation through an agency, once it is made I suggest calling the hotel directly to confirm it and get a confirmation from them. E-mail me for more information - [email protected]

Mar 20th, 2001, 06:18 AM
thansorry

What if you arrive and find the room is not what you expected - really noisy, smells, double bed when you expected twins or vice versa etc. And you just have to find another hotel on the spot. How do you do it? It seems relatively easy to book a room from home - lots of resources available, but standing in a hotel lobby after a 7-hour sleepless flight, what can you do?

Mar 20th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Thomas

Several years ago I allowed Amex to make and confirm my reservation at a Marais-district hotel. Amex completely failed me...they had made the reservation but they failed to make the required deposit as they were authorized to do. The result was the cancellation of my reservation and...no room at the inn. The hotel proprietor, acting with extraordinary good will, found us a room at an equivalent hotel nearby. May you should be so lucky.

Mar 20th, 2001, 07:31 AM
elvira

It's easier and less stressful if this occurs in the morning versus the night. I've had a hotel full, but the proprietor/desk clerk has called to either a sister hotel or a friend and found a room (only happened twice in 20 years). Major train stations have a tourist information office, and they will find you a room; the major tourist office in town will also find you a room. Call the "800" of chains, like Best Western or Novotel. If all else fails, go to a nearby town or suburb - there might be rooms in Neuilly when there are none in Paris.

Call the hotel the day before you are to arrive to confirm **everything**, like how many people (we once had a confirmed room, only to find the room was a single, when we had reserved a quad!) and the amenities (like the bath is en suite, or the breakfast is included) and the time of your arrival (if you're going to be arriving VERY late at night, make sure they understand this and to not give away your room).

Mar 20th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Diane

We were surprised at how many small hotels there were in Paris. First, it is highly unlikely that you will be left to fend for yourself. There are tons of places that advertise on the web or are available through on-line services. Figure that there are probably twice as many that do not. Since so many are small and personal, they probably help each other out frequently.

Mar 20th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Christina

I have never had that problem, although I am perhaps overly cautious and whenever I go to any city, I do either take a full guidebook with me which has hotels in it, or the names, addresses and phone numbers of several alternate hotels I have picked out as good choices nearby. Hotels usually can suggest something, and probably will help if they cancel your room or somehow mess something up, if you trust them to choose an alternative--if you just want a room, that should work. I would prefer to choose one myself which is why I know some hotel choices from my trip research. In any case, in Paris, the BW 800 number is a good idea as they have several, you might also get the Libertel phone number as they are a French chain with a good selection of nice hotels in Paris. Finally, there is a room reservation service for tourists in the main office of the Paris Tourist Office at 127, ave des Champs-Elysees (probably a better choice than going to a train station tourist office, if you aren't at the train station already). Sometimes reported tourist offices in train stations turn out not to be open when they are supposed to be(it happened to me when I was counting on it), and they don't have as much info in general, so the main office is best if you are really stuck. I agree you should double-check with the hotel shortly before departure to be on the safe side, especially if you are going during a very busy time period because if something goes wrong, even the Paris Tourist Office may have trouble getting you something in Paris (ie, during the Paris Air Show).

Mar 20th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Alice

We arrived at hotel in Paris, to learn that the reservation had been cancelled because I had cancelled my credit card with a particular bank. The hotel said they had notified AAA agent, but she never told me. The manager was most caring, and called another hotel (not as close in, a little plainer but clean) and then called a taxi for us. She arranged that the next hotel would pay for the cab fare (!)and within 1 hour we were checked in to a perfectly acceptable (and less expensive) hotel, and our visit was very pleasant. I thought that was very graciously handled. (lesson: I had not called to reconfirm before arriving, thus the surprise)