Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zurich into Stuttgart or Heidelberg by train-how much and how long?

Mar 20th, 2001, 01:26 PM
TERRI

I'm planning on trying to get to a hub city in Germany from Zurich. Can anyone tell me in US dollars appx. how much a train from Zurich to either of the two above cited cities would cost and how long of a train ride that is?

Mar 20th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Bob Brown

If you leave Zürich at 9:13 you can be in Stuttgart by noon. The next efficient train leaves at 11:13 and arrives at 14:00
Other connections require multiple changes and take longer.
Connections to Heidelberg take a little less than 4 hours. From Zürich the route depends on when you leave.
Some connections take you through Mannheim; others through Stuttgart, while others take you through Karlsruhe.
Sorry, don't know the price. Rail Europoe might give you a price, but you can buy the ticket cheaper in Europe.

Mar 20th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Rex

$51.00 USD on RailEurope (not counting "postage and handling", but don't buy it there. I suspect that the actual price will be somewhere under $40 USD. For comparison sake, Lindau-Stuttgart is 60 to 81 DM depending on routing and time of day.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 20th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Terri

Thank you for your responses. Bob, does the "efficient train" route to Heidelberg take only 4 hours from Zurich, or is tat from Stuttgart? Rex, I'm assuming the prices you cited were for Zurich to Stuttgart? Do these trains run regularly throughout the day? I hope you both can reply...

Mar 20th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Rex

Terri,

I am on a "twelve-step" program to combat my being so "lecture-y", but Bob gave you the website address for www.raileurope.com and you will get much satisfaction out of learning to use it yourself.

For example, the non-stop departures for Zurich-Stuttgart (and yes, that was the fare I quoted you) are at:

07:13
11:13
13:10
15:13
and
19:10

And you mentioned wanting to get to a "hub city" in Germany. I am not sure what kind of "hub city" is Heidelberg.

Once you are comfortable with www.raileurope.com you may wish to try your hand at the websites for individual countries, each of which has its own flavor. none of them has the fare you want (many countries will not list a fare for a route that crosses a border). you can find them all at http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/misc/timetabl.html (no "www")