Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Raphael or Interconental de la Ville?

Feb 26th, 2004, 12:36 PM
lola2004

Which is better? On the other spectrum anyone's thoughts on the Boscolo Palace on Via Veneto 70?

Feb 26th, 2004, 01:53 PM

I'd chose the Raphael mainly because of location. I once stayed almost right next to the Intercontinental at Hotel Internazionale -- and hated the location. I love being down in the old city -- particularly near Piazza Navona. Would never stay on Via Veneto -- I like the location even less.
Feb 27th, 2004, 12:30 PM
lola2004

Thanks for your reply, Patrick. I've decided to go with the Raphael. Any suggestions on not to miss restaurants or any insider tips? It's our first time in Italy.

Feb 27th, 2004, 01:10 PM

I disagree. I just returned from a weekend at the Intercontinental and loved it. Within walking distance of everything. Our room was beautiful. We stayed at the Raphael last year and were terribly unhappy with our room and ended up paying $200 a night more for an upgrade. The location is beautiful, but noisy all hours of the day and night. On this trip it was very easy to walk to Piazza Navona for gellato and cafe sitting.
Feb 27th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Interesting about being noisey. The Raphael is on a tiny street with virtually no traffic, while the Intercontinental is on a very busy street with lots of traffic. I suppose you can always be bothered by noise (especially those damned Vespas everywhere) but I can't imagine more noise at The Raphael (which was wonderfully peaceful for us) than at the Intercontinental.
Yes, it is fairly easy to walk to Navona in about 15 minutes from Via Sistina, (despite the climb of the steps going both ways) but not as easy as popping out in the morning and going just around the corner for a coffee and pastry. And not as convenient at night for a final late night gelato and/or coffee and just turn the corner into your hotel.