Search

Hotel Phare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Phare

Has anyone stayed at the Royal Phare Hotel on ave de la Motte-Picquet near the Eiffel Tower? Any comments on the hotel or neighborhood?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Haven't stayed there, but the neighborhood is the same as that of many other hotels that people talk about all the time on here (eg, Champ de Mars, Grand Hotel Leveque, Relais Bosquet and Muguet are probably the most commonly mentioned). It's convenient to public transportation (bus and metro), pleasant, and has some shops, cafes and restaurants. It is a relatively nice or more affluent area of Paris, so it's not grungy or anything. It is not a nightlife type of place, so don't expect entertainment, cinemas, bars, etc.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:50 PM

If you can wait, or want to make reservations and then cancel, I am staying there April 3, 4, and 5. I can tell you then. Although, I am pretty easy to please. As long as rooms are clean, not terribly shabby, and I can open a window (noise isn't a big problem for me either), I'm usually happy. That doesn't mean that I don't prefer some hotels to others.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cchottel, I'll wait for for reply. Hope you have a nice stay in Paris.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:38 PM

Geoflag:

Well, I'm back and I'll tell you, you can't ask for a better location. Metro, supermarket, and bank machine all literally at the door. Rue Cler just steps away, Champ de Mars one block right; Les Invalides less than two blocks left. Certainly safe area, because it is where everything is! I am a woman, travelling alone, and I never felt threatened or even uncomfortable coming back to hotel late.

Lots of restaurants. Convenient if you want to take the Roissy bus to the airport (line 8 goes directly to Opera stop).

With that said, the rooms are very small. Bed is in a niche, so you can only get out one side. I don't mind that at all because I'm alone. Also clean. I had a room on the courtyard side. It was quiet. The bathroom was extremely small. You had to slide you legs under the sink to use the commode and had to practically climb over the commode to get to the shower. As I said, I don't mind small, but the bathroom was a little inconvenient. I'm 5'2". If I had longer legs, it may have been a problem, but then it was the room, I had. Some may be better.

The hotel is set up kinda stupid, too. Up/down. Can't really explain, but it is like there are mid-floors. The only thing that safety-wise bothered me, is that the office is on the 1st floor, but the elevator is at ground-1/2. The door to the street was always open when I came and went, so I don't know how safe that was. The rooms, unlike most French hotels had keycards, but no interior deadbolt, locks, chains, etc. So it wasn't like you could lock the door from the inside yourself, just the normal, door locks when shut.

Staff wasn't the friendliest, but did speak English and weren't rude.

I originally wanted to stay at the Eber-Mars right around the corner, but they were booked. I walked by it and was even more disappointed, because it looked so nice. It has excellent reviews. Almost as good a location. Just a few steps more to Metro. I'd suggest trying it. Rooms are supposed to be a little bigger and friendlier staff.

I found a great Italian restaurant (Ristorante Tina) on the Ave de la Bourdonnais (around the corner from Royal Phare; same street as Eber-Mar.

Also found a little store about a block away that was open very late. It was good because I was late a number of evenings, yet wanted to get a drink to take back to my room.

Say what you want about Rick Steves, but this area is really a good area to stay and although near so many of the big attractions, there are a number of reasonable options.

Now, for Rick Steve's favorite rue Cler, granted it has everything to give you a glimpse of French shops, but really only takes a few minutes to see it.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:22 PM

Hi

Yes we stayed at the Royal Phare. We had a street facing deluxe room on the 6th floor. This is worth getting for the view - the Invalides lit up at night was beautiful. At this level the street noise isn't so bad. Yes the rooms were small but OK. The bathroom was largish and clean. The hotel is right next to a metro and supermarket. The room has a fridge. The hotel must have the smallest lift I've ever used. Barely as deep as a human body! A large dinner and you have problems!!!

In terms of the location I think I would be inclined to stay in another district next time - probably the 6th. I found the 7th relatively quieter but not walking distance to tourist attractions. The metro came in handy for this. The big plus with the Phare is the price - it is good value. As for the Rue Cler, it is considerably overated. It should not be one of your reasons for choosing this hotel.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

cchottel
Thanks for the review. It is very helpful. We picked the Hotel Phare mostly for the price, 70 Euros a nite including taxes, and the secondly the location, walking distance to the Louvre and Museum d'Orsay, etc. Thanks again.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Well the price is right and the location is great. The minuses are minor compared to the plusses. Have fun!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 12:42 AM

I've stayed there twice and it's perfect for the budget traveler! Make sure you get a room facing the street; that has a large bathroom. I found the staff to be very nice, although they took a dislike to my travel partner on my lasr trip. The grocery store downstairs is convenient, but the one around the corner on rue cler is cheaper.

enjoy!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone for the reviews. We've upgraded to a street side, upper floor room. This is our first trip to Paris and we're there only a week so our days, and evenings, are pretty full; Versaille and art museums mostly. We'll only be at the hotel to sleep. cchottel, thanks for the tip on Ristorante Tina, we'll check it out. Did anyone have the breakfast buffet at Hotel Phare? Would we find a better breakfast (food and $) on the rue Cler?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:48 PM

I did not have the breakfast at the hotel. I had it one time at the brasserie on the rue Cler. It was 6 Euro there. Still pricier small cafes.

You will have a wonderful time and, like I said, the hotel is very, very convenient.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM

tt
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM

I have stayed there twice. The first time was a pleasant surprise. We were referred there by a hotel on the Rue Cler, whose elevator was not finished as they had promised. We thought they would be sending us to a poor replacement and that we would be ripped of. Instead, we found the location to be great (right above, I mean RIGHT ABOVE, a metro station) and the management and staff very pleasant and helpful. The second time, several years ago, the ownership had changed and we found the staff to be indifferent and the lodgings substandard.

For the price, though, perhaps the location will make up for the lack of attention to detail by the staff. You just have to weigh what is important to you. If you are on a budget, this location is pretty darned good.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:07 AM

Is it more expensive to take a room on the upper floor, street side?
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM

No it isn't - just book ASAP to request it. Well worth it. Great view. I suggest get as high as you can. We were on the 6th Floor and there was some street noise but very tolerable.