Hotel near Shannon Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Shannon on June 13 a.m. and need one night's family accommodation prior to setting out for our self-catering cottage on June 14. Prefer something not too pricy, but don't want to drive a long distance on that first day (first day in Ireland, first time driving on LH, plus after a 10 hour flight). We also face the same situation on the way back...our cottage rental ends on a Saturday and we're flying back home on Sunday, again from Shannon airport.<BR><BR>any suggestions? I've done a couple hotel searches, but would appreciate some advice. Thanks very much.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:25 PM

Hi Donna. There are lots of places very near to the airport. But maybe you would prefer to travel in the direction of your self catering cottage the first day, even if it is for an hour or less.<BR>It does not make sense to drive towards Bunratty if you are going to Galway, it seems to me. I think if people know where your destination is, it may help with their suggestions.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Our cottage is not too far from Limerick. It is near a town called Killmallock (sp?). Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:21 AM

Since you are going to be near Limerick, I would suggest just staying in the city for the day/evening. There are some interesting sites to take in especially the Hunt museum. I have stayed there a couple of times and found it quite comfortable. Plus, you could do the Angela's Ashes tour if that strikes your fancy. Otherwise, there are plenty of places closeby. Just check ireland.travel.ie or goireland.com and search for hotels in the area.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 06:02 AM

I would stay in the Bunratty area - there are plenty of really nice B&amp;B's on the &quot;low Road&quot; - I like Headley Court. <BR> Use your first day to explore Bunratty castle - maybe do the banquet, and a little shopping. <BR><BR>Another option is driving a little the other way- go towards Ennis. or Doolin ( about 90 min) See the Cliffs. 90 min is about what is recommended for a first day drive. <BR><BR>Debbie
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 06:40 AM

I highly recommend staying in Bunratty; it is only 6-8 miles from Shannon airport. I stayed at Bunratty Lodge which is wonderful. The owner is just delightful.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I will definitely check out these areas. Appreciate the advice...
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 12:59 PM

If you don't want to drive at all, there's a Great Southern about 200 yards from the front door of the airport. On Saturday nights, it's expensive (about 150 euro), as they get all of the Americans flying out on Sunday. But it's around half that on any other night.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 02:15 AM

It depends on what direction your self-catering cottage is from Shannon. I like a place called Killeline Leisure Park in Newcastlewest, County Limerick (just off the (N-21) Limerick-Tralee road). It's about 45-minutes drive from Shannon airport - has a 20m heated indoor swimming pool, fully equipped workout room, steam &amp; sauna and an adjacent 18-hole Parkland Golf Course. It's inexpensive for the features it has probably because the Lodge just opened a couple of years ago. <BR><BR>It's on the 'Old Cork Road:' Turn left as you enter Newcastlewest from the east and it's about 1km.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 12:15 PM

If you do Bunratty, it is a very quick and easy drive from the airport - I just returned yesterday from our trip to Ireland. We stayed at the Bunratty Lodge and Mary Browne was lovely. There are many B&amp;B choices in the village and all looked very nice. The medieval folk park is fun to go through and we loved the banquet! It would be a great intro to Ireland - the meal is right in the castle. It's maybe a little touristy but is very well done and is great for families.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:17 AM

Another suggestion is in Ennis...a lovely town just north of the airport...stay at Kilmoon House...on Kildysart Road...lovely couple own it and we stay there every year
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:54 AM

Is Bunratty Lodge within walking distance of the village? I.E., is it within stumbling distance of some pubs?!