Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Shannon/Cliffs of Moher/Castlegregory the first day

Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

We arrive in Shannon at 7:45 am. Is it a good plan to do the Cliffs of Moher before driving to our B&B in Castlegregory?
Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:56 AM

Are you flying out of Shannon? What's your itinerary for the last day -- you could always see the Cliffs then along with exploring the Loophead Peninsula.

Will you be jetlagged the first day?

Also, if you are staying at the Shores, you probably won't be able to check in until about 4pm. What are your plans from 8am to 4pm?
Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:05 AM

There are 110 miles from Shannon airport to Castlegregory (about 3,5 hours). Cliff of Moher are in the opposite direction. It depends on what tour you are planning.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

We are spending the night at the Shores B&B. For some reason, I thought I had read that it would be possible to see the Cliffs of Moher the first day and then drive to the Shores. As I look at a map, I see that the Cliffs are a bit out of the way. Other than lunch, that was all we had planned for the day.

On our way back to the airport, we will spend the night somewhere nearby the airport, but we are driving up from Kinsale.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Yes, you can do it, but will you be up to all that driving after the overnight flight?
Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

We would like to see the Cliffs of Moher the first day, if that is doable. Where would be a good place to spend the evening?

We were planning
1 nt at the Shores
2nts Dingle
3nts Loch Lein Country House-outskirts of Killarney
2 nts Kinsale
1 nt. near Shannon airport.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM

It's about 4.5 hours from the Cliffs of Moher to Castlegregory. It's about 1:15 to the Cliffs. I'm not sure what your experience is with driving with jetlag and where you're from. If you are from the western US, I think that's too much driving and probably too much driving anyway. In any case, you should plan to get out of the car and walk around very very frequently if you try it.

I've visited Dingle a number of times, stayed at the Shores every time, caught music and driven back over Conor Pass and had no problem. Not sure if you'll want to leave the Shores after the first night. Granted, I don't get stinking drunk though I always have a pint or two throughout the course of a night.

You could spend one night in Doolin or Lehinch if you wanted to cut back on the driving the first day.

Bill