Hotel near Lisbon airport

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Hotel near Lisbon airport

We will be traveling in Portugal in May and want to spend our last night in a hotel that is convenient to the airport since we have to be at the airport at 6:45 am. Any suggestions? The day prior to our departure we will be driving back from Porto to Lisbon. Thank you.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM

You can stay in a hotel like the Marriot, which is closer to the corporate center of Lisbon.

But, we had a 6:00am flight and our hotel was right on Rossio and it only took us 20 minutes to get to the airport.

The airport in Lisbon is incredibly close to the center of old Lisbon. Even at that time of the morning there were many taxis waiting. Our hotel called for one for us, but it really wasn't necessary.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM

As Sher points out, no need to limit yourself to a hotel in the immediate vicinity of the airport, as the airport's very close to the city center. And at that time of day there's no traffic at all---the taxi will positively fly along.

We were staying in an apartment, so didn't have a hotel that could call a cab. Instead we just hailed one on the street (in the Chiado, a busy area) at about 6:00 AM, and were at the airport in less than 15 minutes.

If you're not turning your rental car into the agency until the morning of your flight then you won't even need to think about the cab.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM

Ditto above. We paid 6.50 Euros from our Hotel Mundial (near Rossio) to the airport. It took us about 15 min. to get there.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all who responded. I had planned and booked accomodations for our ten day stay but this one last piece of the puzzle was missing. Your advice completed it.

This is our first time in Portugal and we are very excited. I used this forum to gather ideas and also did a lot of reading about the country.

As has been my experience in past travels, I am limiting myself recognizing that one cannot see everything in ten days. I'd rather go at a slower pace and enjoy myself than to schedule too much and not have adequate time. For us Portugal will require a second visit, I'm sure.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I don't know if you have read recent posts about the check in at the airport in Lisbon being confusing.

This was not the case with us but maybe there have been changes recently concerning staffing of the check in counters. That said, I would give myself plenty of time to arrive and check in.

But I would not be concerned with hailing a taxi and arriving even at that hour. The airport is very close and taxis plentiful.

Remember. You can always return to Portugal. You want to remember the places you have visited as being more than a blur.

Good luck.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 02:22 AM

Iguazu, R U Brazilian?
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

No, I am not Brazilian, I'm an American. When I was trying to register a screen name, every name I selected was already taken. My name is William so I tried that, then Bill, Billy, then I switched to Spanish, Guillermo. Still no luck. Because I have spent many happy hours in Argentina, I figured an Argentine name would be less in demand. Thinking of the beauty of the country, I decided to try a location I love, Iguazu, even though the falls are partially in Brazil. Well, it worked. No one in the world had picked the name.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:07 PM

My husband and I will be traveling to Portugal in July for 16 days. We've rented a villa in the Algarve region for a week.

If you would be so kind to share your experience with me when you return, I would like to hear first hand places worth while to visit.

Enjoy your trip and hope to hear from you.

PS. Read that you traveled in Argentina; that is a country that my husband and I would love to explore.