Obidos to Lisbon airport

Search

Obidos to Lisbon airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obidos to Lisbon airport

We have an 8:00am flight out of Lisbon airport to France. Initially I thought of leaving from Obidos, where we are staying for 2 days, since it only takes ~ an hour to the airport. I am having second thoughts now and instead thinking of staying nearer the airport for the morning flight.I am interested about your thoughts/suggestions.

Thank you.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:05 AM

Obidos didn't strike me as a place with a lot of nightlife, so leaving the evening before to be near the airport should be fine. It's really really pretty there - I enjoyed my 2-3 hours and definitely plan to go back and spend more time - but you aren't going to miss anything by leaving a little early.

An hour drive sounds about right. If you are willing to get up at 330 AM to get on the road by 430 AM (giving yourself time to dump the car, etc), I suppose it's not a bad idea. I have no idea about hotels at the airport, but if you did stay there you could probably drag yourself out of bed at 530 AM and still make the lineup with plenty of time.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:51 AM

This is a personal preference.

My choice, especially if you are arriving in Obidos mid-day or later, is to spend the night in Obidos. It is very atmospheric in the evening when the day tourists leave, and there are some decent restaurants in the old town.

I would have dinner at 7:30 PM and be in bed by 10, then get up to be on the road by 5 AM.

My second choice (if you have all day in Obidos) would be to drive to Lisbon airport late afternoon, turn the car in then, and take a taxi to a downtown Lisbon hotel. Have an enjoyable last evening in Lisbon. Then taxi out to the airport early for your flight. Allow 20-25 minutes for an early AM taxi ride to the airport.

My last choice would be to spend a night at a airport hotel in Lisbon.

My opinion only, happy travels!

maytraveller
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 11:15 AM

The OP has two full days in Obidos.

IIRC the drive to the airport from the area near Praca Luis Camoes took under half an hour - but that was almost a year ago, I don't remember for sure. How much time will you have in Lisbon otherwise, on this trip?
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks flygirl and maytraveller for your opinions and suggestions.

flygirl: We would have 4 full days in Lisbon already at the beginning of the trip.

I am leaning towards driving into a hotel near Lisbon airport (SAS Radisson or Marriott) late in the afternoon or early evening the day before our flight. That way we (actually mainly ME)wouldn't be too stress out, even though we are early risers and there wouldn't be a problem leaving Obidos as early as 4:30am or 5am.

Thanks again.