Hotel near Heathrow as fall-back for strike delay

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My flights seem to be operating from Denver to Berlin Tegel May 21/22. But how about the return from Munich on June 5?

Would appreciate hotel recommendations near Heathrow in case I have to spend the night (nights?) to catch a return flight. Conveniene to LHR ( and likely availability) more important than price.

Thank you.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:00 PM

You would want to book a room, taking note of the cancellation policy.

If there are delays, there will not likely be availability as many will be in the same position as you.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:55 PM
hsv

Adjacent to T5 with direct access to the terminal there is a Sofitel that looks very nice (and, as the terminal itself) is still quite new.

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-6214...ow/index.shtml

Alternatively there are a couple of hotels around Gloucester Road tube station. It's on the Piccadilly Line, a non-stop train ride of approx. 40 min. from T5. There is the huge and not too attractively looking Holiday Inn Forum there, a newly renovated former Holiday Inn now run as a Crowne Plaza, two Millennium Hotels to name a few, or around Earl's Court, 1 stop closer to LHR, where there are options such as base2stay and the K+K George.

If you prefer the Paddington area, there is the Hilton adjacent to the station, from where the LHR Express whisks you in 15 min. to LHR (for a steep price around GBP 15.00, though). The 10 min. slower Heathrow Connect train costs half the price.

For full disclosure, I haven't stayed at any of these places as I live in town and mention them for location only.
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Conveniene to LHR ( and likely availability) more important than price.</i>" How much do you actually want to spend? If you don't know for sure until the last minute you may have to eat the cost. W/price not an issue in London - that can get VERY spendy. So at least give us a ballpark.

Some hotels have a fairly generous cancellation policy, but others you have to inform 24 hrs, or 3 days, or whatever, ahead. If you wait until after your flight is disrupted - everything will likely be full. (BTW - if you are 'belt and braces' sort, you could have the same issue for your flight over and for Munich.)
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:21 AM

You might try Millenium Bailey's or Millenium Gloucester right across from the Gloucester Road tube station and a direct line to LHR. I get good prices on www.londontown.com and you can cncel right up until the day of the reservation. Also there are several hotels in Windsor, a short bus or taxi from LHR
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM

In the immediate area I like the Heathrow Marriott and the Radisson Edwardian Heathrow hotel. Both are serviced by the hotelhoppa bus and both hotels will arrange local car service to the terminals (not sure about pickup at the terminals but you can inquire).
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM

We were very pleased with the Novotel at Heathrow, and it's the first stop on the Hoppa Bus circuit.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We always stay at the Heathrow Hilton with direct access to terminal and train.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Crowne Plaza London Heathrow.Excellent , large rooms, and an indoor pool, if i recall right. Got it for about $70(room /taxes/fees total) on Hotwire. However, if your flight is NOT cancelled, you 'd "eat" the fee, as once you book, it is nonrefundable. It might be worth it to plug in your dates, make ares at the very leastt expensive hotel at heathrow,and for whatever price you get, know that it is there if needed, and you've purchased bought peace of mind if NOT needed.

OR you can wait until May 25, when (if i recall correctly) BA is publishing the confirmed flights for the following week.

Right now, there are 3 hotels at LHR listed on Hotwire on June 5, for between $49 and $54 If you've any doubts about a delay/cancellation in your flight, personally,I'd book one now. As i said above, even with the Fees, they wont be more than $70. Check betterbidding to see if you can match the icons with the name of the "secret"hotel.

Re: Gloucester Road, I love the area, lots of inexpensive restaurants, Waitrose Grocery, etc--and have stayed at a bunch of hotels there (Millenium Glocester and Harrington Hall) .. but it'snot near LHR. Sounds like you want a place RIGHT in the vicinity of the airport. Should you have to stay at hotel more than a night, you can always get the tube to nearby town areas, London neighborhoods (eg) Glocucester Rd, or anywhere in London, to keep from getting bored.
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:56 AM

Hi Treplow

We used the T5 Travelodge twice earlier this year, as we only wanted to overnight before and after other travel plans.
Because we booked way ahead, we got extremely cheap rates, but even at full rates they are excellent value.

There's a bus direct to and from Heathrow, you can pay extra for early / late check in and out, and there's a very basic cafe on site. You are under flight paths, but the double glazing takes care of any noise.

It's nothing fancy, but clean, comfortable beds are our main priority for a stopover like this. Cheers, Di