Search

Heathrow hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow hotels

My friend and I are staying 2 nights in the UK on our way to Denmark this summer. We arrive at Heathrow in the afternoon and then have the entire next day to explore London, before leaving on an early morning flight the day after for Copenhagen. I think it makes more sense to stay in a hotel near Heathrow and take the train into London for that one day. Does anyone know a good hotel that has good access to the train to London and yet is close enough to the airport for our early morning dash? Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM

Stay in London at or near Paddington station. Staying at Heathrow is daft -- there's nothing out there of interest to you and the Heathrow Express is a 15 minute train ride.

Check out this thread where another traveler wants to stay near LHR for some unknown reason and is getting advised to NOT do so.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...w-257334-2.cfm
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I think it makes more sense to stay in a hotel near Heathrow and take the train into London for that one day.</i>"

I personally don't think staying out at LHR makes that much sense. Or you could <i>possibly</i> stay IN London the first night and out at LHR the 2nd night. But that would mean extra packing/unpacking/checking in/checking out. If you stay out at LHR, you'll have to go there and check in and drop your bags before going back to the airport to catch the tube into town. If you land at say 2PM - by the time you schlepped to the hotel and back it will probably be after 5PM before you got to central London.

What is your budget? And what time is your flight out?

But if you do end up staying at LHR, you can get amazing bargains using Priceline. Sometimes 4 star airport area hotels for less than $50 a night. No LHR hotel is more or less convenient than the others, except for the hotels attached to terminals 4 and 5 - but they are more expensive than the places just off the airport property.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 05:42 AM

I agree with Russ and janisj. Stay in/near Paddington and take the HEX (Heathrow Express train). I have done both and this is far easier. The Paddington Hilton is great for this - located right above the trains.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your valuable advice - I think I'll book a hotel at Paddington. One more question - we have to be at Heathrow by about 5:00 AM for a 7:00 am flight. Does the Heathrow Express run that early? I haven't been to London for 36 years, so this is all new to me again!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM

The first HEX is at 05:10. Which terminal are you using? The HEX takes 15 mins to T-1, 2 & 3 - longer to T-4 or 5.

Instead of using the HEX and staying at Paddington, I'd <u>definitelty</u> consider taking the tube in to London and a car service back to LHR.

Then you can stay anywhere you like (Paddington is not all that convenient for sightseeing). The tube one way and a car service the other way won't cost much more than R-T on the HEX. Plus at 04:30 AM there will be NO traffic.

Check out justairports.com
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM

I concur with bigruss. The heathrow express is great, and staying near paddington station give you lots of options.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM

For two people a car service is cheaper than the HEX plus you won't have to stay in the Paddington area.

Personally I'd take the Tube to somewhere like the Victoria or Bloomsbury areas and get a car service back to LHR. That way you'll have places to see within walking distance
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:36 AM

"<i>For two people a car service is cheaper than the HEX plus you won't have to stay in the Paddington area.</i>"

Oh - I didn't even notice the OP is traveling w/ someone. In that case -- definitely consider what alanRow and I suggest. R-T on the HEX will cost you <B>£64</B>. The tube in to town plus a car service out to LHR will save you nearly £30. The savings would be even more if you decide to stay in a more central area and have to pay for a cab from Paddington to your hotel.

My "<i>The tube one way and a car service the other way won't cost much more than R-T on the HEX.</i>" comment was thinking you are traveling solo, and comparing one R-T on the HEX against a car service. For 2 or more - the HEX is VERY expensive.

Saving a lot of money and not having to stay at Paddington -- priceless.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the hint about hiring a car - this is the way to go, especially since the airlines just made our early morning flight out of Heathrow even earlier. There would be no way to get there in time using the HEX!
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM
hsv

Why do you have to be at LHR at 05.00 h for a 07.00 h flight?

In your original post you were saying you are flying out to Denmark. Even having check-in luggage I would not be at the airport more than an hour in advance.
If you are flying out of T5 (i.e. on BA) all that's necessary is that you have passed security 45 minutes prior to your flight, and trust me, there is no tolerance on that. BA's check-in closes 45 min. prior to departure.

If you are using SAS out of T3, passing through security 30 minutes prior to departure should be enough. Economy check-in closes 40 min. prior to departure.
http://www.flysas.com/en/Travel_info...heck_in_times/
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 12:44 AM
hsv

Correction: You must be at security 35 min. prior to your flight at T5 (I was pretty sure that the last time I missed a flight there it was 45 min., maybe they changed it. I stopped using T5 after that incident). They scan your ticket - if you are late, you don't fly.
However, it is still much later than the 2 hours you were initially scheduling.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HSV - I went to the BA website and re-familiarized myself with their check-in procedures and times, which I hadn't done in a few years. A good idea!