Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best/Most reasonable hotels at Heathrow Terminal 4?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be going to England in May and would like to have some recommendations for a hotel at Heathrow for the night before we fly home. I'm sure the Hilton is nice, but it is a little pricey. Any other hotels that are good and not so expensive?
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
there are only two -- the Hilton and the Yotel. Both are expensive for overnight. The Hilton you already know about. The Yotel charges by the hour so for a full over night it is IMO too expensive.

There are a ton of off airport hotels but they are quite far from T-4

What time is your flight? Staying in Central London can actually be a reasonable alternative
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 09:53 PM
hsv

As an off-airport hotel that's reasonably convenient for LHR T4 the Jury's Inn at Hatton Cross comes to mind. It is a few steps from the Hatton Cross tube stop where the line splits between T1, 2, 3 and 5 trains and T4 trains. It's 1 stop from T4 (as a rule of thumb every second train goes to T4). I haven't stayed there so cannot comment on quality, but as far as I am aware it has a decent reputation and it looks reasonably new from the outside.
http://heathrowhotels.jurysinns.com/
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 11:42 PM

What time is your flight home - and what day of the week is it?
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at the Jury's Inn at Hatton Cross a few years ago, before a very early flight. It was fine, just your average hotel room. About 10 mins flat walk to the tube station. Absolutely nothing in the area though, no cafes, restaurants or shops. Eat before you get there, though there may be a restaurant in the hotel - you could check that out.

Kay
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 12:45 AM

"Absolutely nothing in the area though"

Just go a few stops down the Tube line to one of the Hounslows and eat traditional English food like curries
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 01:53 AM

Hi Jeannie

Every time I recommend this hotel I get howled down by others on this forum, but we use the Travelodge at Heathrow.

There's a bus that runs frequently to and from the airport, the beds are comfortable, the bathrooms clean and the showers hot.

There is a small restaurant on site, but absolutely nothing else within walking distance - we usually pick up a meal from the ground level deli at Heathrow in preference to what's on offer at the Travelodge.

We have usually picked up a room for 8 - 12 GB Pounds a night, by booking far enough in advance. If you sign up for the Travelodge emails, they send frequent discount offers.

Happy travels, Di
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 01:59 AM

"but we use the Travelodge at Heathrow."

Which one - there's five - none of which are convenient for T4 apart from possibly the one at Feltham
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 02:09 AM

It's the T5 Travelodge. The Hoppa bus goes to Terminal 5 - you can then take the free shuttle between all terminals. Di
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 03:21 AM

""<i>It's the T5 Travelodge. The Hoppa bus goes to Terminal 5 - you can then take the free shuttle between all terminals. Di</i>"

I think the Travelodge Central would be more convenient to T-4? It would be a quicker connection.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 04:14 AM

Yotel charges per 4 hour period not per hour
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:38 AM

We stayed at Jury's Inn. Room was roomy and clean. It was smoky smelling but prob should have just asked to be moved. Ate in expensive for what it was restaurant but food was fair and service great and it was THERE. It is more than a few steps from Tube stop but is walkable (we got a bus from car drop off to that area and then walked to the hotel) Glad we weren't schlepping bags as had already dropped them off before taking car back. Bought HoppaBus tickets in the foyer the night before and had exactly on time pick up there and were taken as timed to T3.

So can't rave about Jury's Inn but all my dealings with them were very good and room very comfortable and reasonable. We were 3 so no bidding for room as is often recommended.

Do allow all the time recommended for LHR pre-flight time; much better, imo, to be waiting in an airport lounge if all is smooth and you are early than fretting in a line or missing your flight!
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:42 AM

"<i>Yotel charges per 4 hour period not per hour</i>"

Yes -- thus it can be a reasonable option for a short layover but very expensive for an overnight.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM

"I think the Travelodge Central would be more convenient to T-4?"

May be quicker than from the TL T5 but it isn't a good choice for T4 - as I learnt
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 08:55 AM

"<i>May be quicker than from the TL T5 but it isn't a good choice for T4 - as I learnt</i>"

Oh I agree - I don't think either T-5 or Central Travelodges are terribly good for T-4. But Central would be a bit better than the T-5 property.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 09:27 AM

admittedly i wouldn't stay at yotel if i was looking to stay more than six hours, its not somewhere for an entire nights stay more for those early morning flights (either getting on or getting off) what i've learnt from most though is that sometimes yotel can work out cheaper than other hotels around heathrow once you factor in transport costs
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 09:38 AM

<i>The Yotel charges by the hour so for a full over night it is IMO too expensive.</i>

I think it depends how much you value convenience. A deluxe room (double bed) for a 10 hour, overnight stay will run you roughly £80. A standard room (twin bed) will run you roughly £50. Almost always quite a bit cheaper than the Hilton or the Sofitel.

I've stayed at the Yotel three or four times and, depending upon the circumstances, would stay there again. If I were doing nothing more than literally going to sleep and showering in the morning, I would probably pay a slight premium for the Yotel over an off-airport place (remember to include transport costs for an off-airport place), due to the convenience factor. The beds are very comfortable and the room is otherwise pretty functional. Avoid if you are claustrophobic.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM

<i>I would probably pay a slight premium for the Yotel over an off-airport place</i>

That was a bit timid. I should say that I have paid a premium for the Yotel over an off-airport place.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 02:15 PM

I will need a hotel for overnight May 3, 2014 to catch a British Airways flight to Los Angeles at 10 am on May 4.
Some recommendations for Travelodge - which one?
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 02:16 AM

We've stayed a couple of times at Heathrow T5 Travelodge. It's quite basic, but beds are comfortable, bathrooms clean and showers hot . . . my 3 essentials covered!

There's a shuttle bus between the airport and hotel. If you plan to be there over a meal time, you might like to pick up some food at the terminal before you go to the hotel - they only have food that comes from a central point, and is prepackaged and reheated on site. Di