Hotel Muguet in Paris

Search

Hotel Muguet in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Muguet in Paris

Hubby and I went to check out the Hotel Muguet last night on behalf of someone interested in this hotel for the rooms with a view. Just a few notes that might be of help to someone. The rates have increased at this hotel for 2007. The rooms with an Eiffel Tower view are now 180 Euro, and a regular queen room is 130 Euro when booked through the hotel directly. We found the 180E room to be very pretty and spacious, and the view is legit - you can see about 3/4 of the tower, and you don't have to wrench your head out the window or anything. They told us they only have three rooms with this view. As far as I can tell, they are still a two-star hotel. The street seemed very quiet although fairly charmless. Breakfast is 9.50 per person. I did not get details on what it included. To reserve, they take your credit card number but do not charge it until 7 days in advance. Website: www.hotelmuguet.com. Hope this if of help to someone who might be considering this hotel. I will post again after our friends actually stay there in March.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 01:24 AM

Thanks Lutece. Just for the information of others, there are quite a few discussions about the Muguet on this board which should be easily found with a search. We stayed at the Muguet several times on the recommendation of friends and found it very comfortable and the staff friendly. It is a 2 star but very well appointed nevertheless. The rooms at the back are quite small, so go for the front even without a view. Last time in Paris we tried a new hotel in the 6th and really enjoyed the area although the hotel was a bit of a disappointment. My feeling is that the Muguet is getting a bit expensive at those prices.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 03:08 AM

I am not surprised at the price increase. The Muguet has long been a 2* rated but basically a 3* hotel. They may be moving to that designation for "real". I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner with its popularity with foreign tourists, business people, and travel professionals--not just Americans.
Yes, the street it is on is 2 blocks long and "charmless"= VERY quiet, so that if you have a front of the hotel room as we have had it is also VERY quiet even with the windows open.
Within a block's walk, it is hardly in a "charmless" neighborhood!!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 03:23 AM

I stayed at the Muguet a little over ten years ago, June 1996. Back then, its clientele appeared to be mostly business travelers. I understand completely about the "charmless street". The street, Rue Chevert, is lined with travel agencies/apartment buildings. Not charming whatsoever. Fortunately, a short walk to either end connects to wonderful avenues lined with stores, markets and bistros, which makes it a great Paris neighborhood-feeling place of stay. I loved the Muguet and have recommended it numerous times. Back then, we paid about $100/double; breakfast was about $6/pp. The Manager and staff were very pleasant, including the lobby dog-- a well-behaved, adorable pooddle that LOVED attention.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 03:39 AM

We stayed there in 2000 and it was $85 per night! It was a very nice hotel then, even before renovation. I'd stay again.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Wow, prices have indeed increased considerably. We stayed there March 2004 and paid 120 euro for a room with Eiffel Tower view, breakfast included!
FYI breakfast was quite extensive as per French standards: the usual roll and croissant but also cereals, cheese, cold meats, yoghurt, fresh juice and some fruit.
It was all well worth the 120 euro at the time.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:55 AM

I've stayed there and had an interior room that had a really ugly view (I just kept the curtains closed), so I would think an outer room could be better. I think those rates are rather high, but for an Eiffel Tower view, I can see you must pay. That hotel was odd in that you used to not be able to book that room, it was sort of chance or if they liked you are something as to whether you could get it.

I do not agree at all that this is or was a 3* hotel. It's not as nice as any 3* hotel I've stayed at in Paris, which is why I would never want to stay there again. Many rooms are very small and there are few amenities (no minibar, etc.). The bed was very uncomfortable, also, which was the worst thing, as I couldn't sleep well. The mattress was extremely hard, and I think it was about the worst bed I've ever had in a Parisian hotel. This was only a couple years ago. I thought it was well kept, but that doesn't mean much to me, as I've never stayed in a dirty or shabby hotel in Paris.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:06 AM

We've stayed at Hotel Muguet many times. Mme. Pelletier continues to make all sorts of improvements year after year. The air conditioning is fantastic. It was really nice to return to a comfortable room the June we arrived to a week-long heat wave.

Another nice this about Hotel Muguet is that it is now completely non-smoking.

I've heard/read that many hotel proprietors deliberately keep their lower star rating for tax purposes.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Christina, the Muguet isn't a 3*, it's a 2* (that IMO deserves to be a 3*). We recently stayed at the Danube which is a 3*. Therefore it was much more expensive than the Muguet. No minibar there, either. Not even A/C which the Muguet has in all its rooms. Also their breakfast at 10 euro pp was really very poor.
Give me the Muguet any time!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM
GBC

Lutece...a usefull update. I've suggested the Muguet several times. A/C, non-smoking, Tower view, quiet street, nice breakfast, oversize room, and it is clean, I'm OK with that. It will be interesting to see the follow up.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Even with the price increase I am still happy to stay at the Muguet (tho I prefer to take my breakfast elsewhere). When traveling to other European cities (like Rome) I am always trying to find their "Hotel Muguet" but I often have to spend many more Euros than I do in Paris. Just a few months ago I was planning my spring trip and emailed the Muguet my reservation request but received no repsone. I thought maybe they were already booked but I emailed again - no response in my email but about a day later Mdme. called me! asking why I had not given my final booking details. Evidently my email was putting her responses into my SPAM folder and I had not thought to look there . I was so impressed that she took the time to telephone me!