Search

Hotel Monge or Hotel de la Sorbonne?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Monge or Hotel de la Sorbonne?

Hej,

We'll stay in Paris for 2 nights over my birthday and that's why I'm looking for a nice 2 Star hotel in September (max. 110 Euro per night) in the 5th or 6th arondissement.

St. Jacques and Grandes Ecoles are already fully booked. No response from Clement so far

I read millions of hotel recommendations here in the forum and at tripadvisor but I still don't know which hotel to choose:
Monge or Sorbonne? Both have rooms available. Or should I try a completely different one?

I think it is important that there is a nearby metro-station (that serves a lot of trains), nice restaurants, bakeries and cafes. The cleaner the better, the more "french-feeling" the area is the better, no need of a/c.

I would love to get some help from you

linchen
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Hotel Monge has air conditioning. That may or may not matter to you.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM

I wonder if the fireplace in the lobby "works"? Wouldn't that be lovely if you encounter "a dark and windy night"? Hence, the Hotel de la Sorbonne. I'd prefer the mini-fridge at the Monge (cheese and wines) pour moi.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:12 AM

I stayed at Hotel de la Sorbonee in April and was very happy with it. The room was very small, but I was the only one there, and was seldom there for any length of time other than sleeping, so it wasn't a problem. It would be a lot tighter with two people, though, but I'm sure there are also larger rooms.

While I didn't need much assistance, the hotel staff was always courteous and helpful when I needed directions or calling a cab.

I know the Hotel Monge gets a lot of positive reviews here, I haven't seen as much (positive or negative) on Hotel de la Sorbonne, but I would recommend it . . . I've already booked a room for my next trip.

There are a few Metro stations close by, but since I walked most of the time, can't say just exactly how close - just a short walk though. One of them is an RER stop (Saint Michel / Notre Dame, IIRC), I believe, if you choose to use this way to get in from the airport or to leave.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:30 AM

We're staying at the Hotel de la Sorbonne in September. We read many positive reviews about it, and the location sounds perfect.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:12 PM

We stayed at the Hotel de la Sorbonne last year between xmas and NY. The room was a typical small Parisian room with a reasonably comfortable bed, well heated with a small tv (only French programming). The decor was OK but not charming.

The bathroom was the size of a closet, you literally could not turn around in it with the door closed. The bathroom was equipped with a shower, hairdryer, soap and shampoo. We had a hot water problem and ended up next door at the Cluny for a night at no charge.

We liked the location on a quiet street near the Place de Sorbonne, a 5-10 minute walk from the Cluny Sorbonne metro and less than 5 minutes from the Luxemborg RER which was very convenient coming from CDG, a straight shot from the airport.

It was an easy walk to the Pantheon and the Cluny museum and not too far to Notre Dame.

I wouldn't rush to stay here again although I really liked the location. If/when we go back, I think we will go back to the Hotel Muguet but that is not the area you are looking in.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Kristi,

So you could take the RER directly from CDG to the Luxembourg stop, and then walk to the hotel? No changing trains? That's great. I didn't even realize it would be that simple when we booked the hotel!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Yep, no changing trains and it was a short walk from the train to the hotel, very easy if you have manageable luggage.

The hotel was perfectly fine for budget accomodations, the size of the bathroom made me laugh
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Oh, yes . . . don't know why I failed to mention the small bathroom at the Hotel de la Sorbonne. It's always rewarding when the years spent in ballet and gymnastics pay off in such unexpected ways in everday life.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:21 AM

I can only comment on Hotel Monge, but we really enjoyed our stay there. Service, ammenities, location, etc. were all great. We even had two sets of French doors that opened onto a small balcony overlooking the street below (by request).
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Lizzie, glad to know that all the hard work you put into gymnastics paid off in an indirect way!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

thanks a lot for your recommendations.

I booked Hotel Monge because it's said to be VERY clean and since my boyfriend is pretty tall (6'3 feet) he won't even be able to enter the tiny bathroom at Hotel Sorbonne.

linchen