Hotel Minerve or Hotel saint Jacques?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone offer any suggestions to help me decide between these two hotels for a trip at the end of May? The Minerve is air conditoned-- should that be an issue in May?
THanks
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:09 PM

What city? I once stayed at the H. St. Jacques in Paris. Not bad, but more American than French. Not a great location either. Near the Tour Eiffel, but not that close to make it worth the sacrifice of being so far from other things.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:48 AM

We just booked a room (as of yesterday) for May 14-21 at the Minerve. I think it's better-located than the St. Jacques, and it certainly has good reviews from travelers (for the most part). Weather has been so unpredictable lately, that it's hard to say if you'll need the A/C or not. We had tried to book in the Minerve's "sister" hotel, the Familia, but by the time we went to confirm (2 days after getting back response from Familia), there were no rooms left. The Minerve was almost all booked for this time period as well, except for the most expensive rooms, so you should book quickly once you make up your mind.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:20 AM

The Hotel St Jacques is nowhere near the Eiffel Tower. It's in the Latin Quarter, up the street from the Sorbonne on the Rue des Ecoles. Easy walk to the Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. And it does not have an American feeling at all, I don't think.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

The St. Jacques, in Paris, is on Rue de Ecoles in the 5th arrondisement so Barb must be thinking of a different hotel. It is a Fodors Choice in the 2007 book-- so I would hope that it had a French not an American feel.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM

I have stayed in both. They are both on the Rue de Ecoles in the 5th. The St Jacques is a little closer to the center of things, but they are both fine locations. I think they were pretty equal in terms of decor, service, etc. I liked the St Jacques a tad better, because of the slighly shorter walk (and it was closer to a metro stop that had more lines). You can't really go wrong with either one. The Minerve has a great little bakery across the street. The St Jacque is only a couple of blocks from Boul St Mich with tons of places to eat.