Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Jazz or Hotel Pulitzer in Barcelona?

Jun 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

I would appreciate any input from people familiar with these hotels. The location seems to be good for both. Hotel Jazz is similiar cost to Pulitzer (Pulitzer a little less$), although it is only a 3 star hotel opposed to Pulitzer's 4 stars. Our friends stayed at Hotel Pulitzer a few years ago, loved it, and recommended it. Pics look beautiful, reviews are that it has an amazing location, is very clean with great breakfast and a rooftop bar. However, I read 3 reviews among hundreds of rave reviews that an occupant at Pulitzer found bugs in bathtub, another had cockroach in their room and another thinks she was bitten by bedbugs (!!) at Pulitzer, although the management refuted this after extensive tests hotel's exterminator did and says found none. The Jazz Hotel is maybe not in as good a location and a few (among hundreds of reviewers) complained about rummble from underground subway, breakfast just adequate. However, it does have lots of positive comments about its rooftop pool . The reviews from TripAdvisor and Travellers magazine for Hotel Jazz are glowing-very clean well situated hotel.

We are staying in Barcelona in July for 5 nights, and would like some additional feedback from the forum about these two hotels that are in our price range, before my final decision. Thanks so much!
Jun 25th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Do the math on TA: divide the number of bad reviews by the total number of reviews for each hotel; stay at the winner
Jun 25th, 2012, 09:19 AM

I don't know about the Pulitzer, but stayed in the Jazz last year. I really liked the hotel a lot. I didn't notice the subway rumble but probably because I requested (and got) a quiet room on a very high floor (facing an interior courtyard area). It was comfortable, clean, the staff nice, and a very convenient location for the airport bus and generally getting around (and good restaurants north just a few blocks on psg de Gracia or Cataluna, think that's it's name. The street it is on is nothing special, though, just a bunch of shops and budget hotels, it isn't scenic in any way.

I don't eat breakfast, so can't comment on that and don't use rooftop pools, either, but I wasn't there in summer. Even then, I doubt if I would as when I'm going to Europe, I am usually out and about doing things and don't like getting my hair all wet, anyway (it is long and that is not a trivial thing for me).

The Hotel Jazz is a nice 3* hotel, well-located, but no, it isn't deluxe and I wouldn't call it beautiful, just nice enough (kind of reminds me of a modern business hotel in ways).
Jun 25th, 2012, 09:38 AM

If the Pulitzer is the one right on the Ramblas and close to the big market, then that's the one I stayed in. It is truly a luxury hotel with nicely decorated rooms and 1 of the nicest bathroom / fixtures I've seen in a hotel. I loved it when I was there for a week. If the cost is the same between the 2, I'd go 4 star for sure.
Jun 25th, 2012, 01:32 PM

No, that isn't where it is, it is up near the top just off the huge plaza Catalunya on a side street to the left (as you are facing the top of the street, which I think is north). In fact, I don't even understand the original question now that I re-read it as the Pulitzer and the Jazz are just around the corner from each other, maybe one block apart So one can't have an amazing location in comparison to the other.

Okay, in theory one could if it were a whole lot quieter for some reason or the metro went right under the one and not the other. And it is probably true that it goes more under the Jazz. If you get a lower room, that could be annoying, I will agree with that as I've had that happen in another hotel. But they are very very close to each other.
Jun 26th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your response and the info-that the two hotels are quite near each other. I didn't realize this.
Jun 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM

We stayed at the Jazz in October 2010 and are returning in October this year. I just checked out the Pulitzer, as I hadn't heard of it prior to your post. For our dates in October, the Pulitzer is about 85 euro more per night than the Jazz. We didn't hear the rumble of the metro nor street noise. The windows are double-paned. The pool wasn't open in October, but the view from the pool deck was awesome. We skipped breakfast in favor of a more authentic breakfast experience at the market, about a 10-minute walk down La Rambla. Happy to be returning to the Jazz. If you decide to stay there, please post your impressions here when you return. Bon voyage!