Search

Hotel in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Venice

My mother and I are traveling to Italy this summer and have one day at the end of our trip in Venice. We need a hotel that has a central location and is easy to get to from the train. We'll be coming from Florence. Also does anyone have a short list of things to see in our one day there?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Do you have a budget set? You might try venere.com where you can search by location and also by budget, I believe.

Keep in mind that I have not yet made the trip to Venice (come on, October!) but here is what is suggested in one of my guidebooks. I am sure others here can tweak it for you.

One Day in Venice:
start at Piazza San Marco, then on to Caffe Florian (you'll pay dearly for your cappucino on the terrace but very atmospheric surroundings. Then to Bacono Orseolo, one of the city's eight gondola stations to check out the unique crafts (possibly board one). San Moise is next, a baroque extravangance which stands out as one of the ugliest churches in a city of beautiful churches. La Fenice, the opera house is listed next, followed by Santo Stefano which has a wooden ceiling whose shape resembles the inverted hull of a ship and has two works by Tintoretto in the sacristy. Then off to the Palazzo Grassi, one of the last great palaces to be built in Venice, dates from 1749 and is now the city's venue for traveling art shows and other exhibitions.

Palazzo Mocenigo is one of the largest and grandest houses in Venice (not open to the public) and then to the Palazzo Fortuny where the distinctive work of textile designer and photographer Mariano Fortuny is displayed.

Scala Contarini del Bovolo has a panoramic view over the rooftops of Venice. On to San Salvador and finish with a Grand Canal trip.

Personally, I intend to just walk and walk and walk, seeing what I see and soaking up the atmosphere on my first day.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most hotels will be easy to get to from the train station. Either pick one in the neighborhood near the station and walk. Or ask your hotel which vaporetto number line you should take and which stop is nearest their hotel. San Marcos is probably considered most central for sight-seeing. But the Rialto bridge or Dorosuro areas are fine too.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really think you should try to add a day or two extra to Venice. You will wish you had. Truly, there is nothing else like it.

MY
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Michelle we wish we could, but since we're already taking 3 weeks vacation it Italy it wouldn't be possible. Any suggestions for the time we do have?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:47 PM

http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...;feature=30003

This link is to Fodors 2-day intinerary. You'll have to choose the things that interest you most to cut it down for a single day.

It does seem a shame that with 3 weeks in Italy, you can't give a second day to Venice. But it sounds like you have that part of the itinerary set.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I can recommend the Hotel Paganelli. It is literally steps away from the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop and a short walk to St. Mark's. You may have a hard time getting a room with a water view at this late date, but if you can get into the "older" section of the hotel (not the Annex), it is a nice, convenient place to stay.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear ms:

Too bad you can't change things a bit. But as you go along, don't be afraid to cut some places short if you've had enough. Personally, we were not wild about Florence. Two days was enough for us to see what we needed.

As far as places to stay, we enjoyed the Hotel Campiello. Very near San Marco, but away from the crowds. Since your time is limited, you should try to stay closer to the main sites: San Marco, Doge's Palace, Rialto Bridge. For us, a gondola ride was a must. I know it is expensive, but we thought it was fun, especially if you go thru the smaller, back canals.

As far as ease from the train station, just hop on a vaporetto to take you to the closest stop to your hotel. Hotels will give directions.

Good luck on your trip,

MY
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM

My husband and I loved the below hotel last month and the location couldn't have been better - about halfway between San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. I echo the comments about needing more time in Venice - it was our favorite city on our trip. My husband had heard mixed things about Venice and questioned the three days I gave it on our itinerary. After we got home, he said he wished we could have spent the entire trip there.

http://www.locandaalgambero.com/inglese/hotel.htm