hotel in the dolomites

Search

hotel in the dolomites

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel in the dolomites

We are going to be staying 3 nights in the Dolomites next May. I am looking for a B&B in a small town. We are into hiking and biking. Don't need the night life. Price around 150 Euros a night

Thanks

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 02:09 PM

Two years ago we stayed at the Hotel Cavallino D'Oro in Castelrotto in the Alpe di Siusi. The small town is lovely, wonderful hiking nearby. But it is in the Dolomite hills so I don't know about biking, some of the roads were very narrow. This small hotel is very popular so this is not too early to book. They have a website.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 11:13 PM

anitas: Another vote for Cavallino D'Oro. Beautiful small hotel on the square, very well appointed.
The hiking is excellent; seven very well marked trails across the main road and into the hills. There is a great hike to a very secluded and therefore unchanged medieval castle, Frostburg, from the small village (very small), Tagusens, about two and a half miles from Castlerotto on a narrow two lane road. The 15th Century Castle after passing through a meadow, is straight down for about 45 minutes. The trip back is straight up for about an hour and a half. Really worth it though. You won't see an undisturbed castle like this in many places. We loved this area.
Two good restaurants are Lift steuble (close) by the ski lift; charming, unpretentious and good wholesome food. They end your dinner with a complimentary glass of grappa. Wow! The other was Zum Turm; beautiful, elegent, great food and excellent service. Have a great trip.
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Chiming in a bit late... but yet another vote for Cavallino D'Oro. Found it in Karen Brown's guide, which is a great source for such places. (Several of her recommendations are in the Dolomites.)

Hiking in the Alpe di Siusi is spendid! I hope the wildflowers will be blooming in May, because the vast high meadows will be a fantastic sight. You can hop on a ski-lift to save yourself from the up-hill part of the hike if you like.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 04:32 AM

http://www.hotel-engel.com/p2100_uk.html
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 06:18 AM

ANITAS
I hope this message isn't too late!
Please check out this wonderful property.......it is located in the same are as the above mentioned Hotels.
It is one of my favorite little inns in the world.
Uhrerhof Deur.......150 euros per night...INCLUDING BREAKFAST & 4COURSE DINNER FOR TWO!!
And the food is wonderful....the location is divine....rooms are more like suites.
I have a few picutres posted of the immediate area & view from deck of our room.
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/italia
(Bulla...cemetery images)

Please take a look at their site:
www.uhrerhof.com
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:30 AM

We stayed in Chiusa - "Klausen" in German. It's a small, very scenic town, much smaller than Bolzano tucked into the steep and rocky Isack River valley, a bit higher in altitude than Bolzano and a bit further north on the main train line over the Alps. It's a place with a distinctly Tyrolean feel to it. There were several dining options and all the other basic tourist necessities. From there, we daytripped by bus up to Castelrotto and to the Alpe di Siusi - "Seiser Alm" in German (a spectacular ride) and by train into Bolzano. We stayed at the family-run "Haus Obwexer", a simple B&B operation with just a few rooms about 200 yards from the railway station. Nothing fancy, but perfect for us, and the outgoing Mrs. Obwexer was charming. Only 33 Euros/night double; check with Klausen's tourist office if interested.