Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Western Dolomites: Bolzano, Castelrotto or both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:05 AM
ChatNoir

Thinking of going to Italy in late May or early Jun to do some easy to moderate hikes, a little recreational biking, if possible (not rough off-roading) and see some great mountain sights. Will be using public transportation.

I have five nights and didn't know if I should base in Bolzano the whole time or split it up and also stay in Castelrotto.

I picked Castelrotto since I thought it had good bus connections from Bolzano, but I'm also open to other ideas.

Would appreciate your feedback on small B&B's in the area and also interesting things to do and see.

Also, what would the weather be like? I figured a little warmer and maybe sunnier than the other side of the Alps.

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have enjoyed our stays in Bolzano. Although it is not actually in the Dolomites, it has beautiful sceanery all around, tons of hiking with good cable car access, bike trails, easy to get around, and also a great city with a young college town atmosphere.
We like Hotel Hanny, which is right outside of the main town. You can reach the town by walking along the park/river path for about 10 mins. The hotel also has free bikes to take. The hotel is on a vinyard, beautiful views, peaceful, the building and everything is new (1 1/2years old), in Sept. it was about $100 a night, 140 with a full 3 course dinner for two. It was some of the best food we had on our trip.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:16 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=5&start=0
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:33 AM

I'd skip Bolzano. I think it is beautiful all around it, but not so much beauty as a city itself. If you wanted to split up your stay in two parts, I suggest Cortina and Castelrotto. Both charming towns, but quite different from each other. Both are surrounded with hikes, lifts, and things to do.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:53 AM

We did Cortina and Castelrotto too... two nights in each. Perfect bases for exploring both sides of the Dolomites. And the road in between is fantastic! Bolzano is nice for several hours visit (check out the Iceman at the museum!), but I found it rather crowded and hectic.

Taking the lifts up and then hiking the high country is a great way to see the mountains.

Late May will have a fair amount of snow at higher elevations, I'm guessing.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 08:46 AM

I agree. If you want to hike and see the beauty of the Dolomites then Castelrotto is hard to beat. The Hotel Zum Wolf is good value in the heart of the village. Ortisei is your other option in the western part--both have bus connections from Bolzano.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 09:22 AM

I agree with Patrick also. We spent a day in Blozano and were sorry that we took the time from Cortina. That said, the entire area is absolutely beautiful.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:45 PM
ChatNoir

Thanks for all the replies.

Looking now at splitting the time between Cortina and either Castelrotto or Ortisei.

Can anyone tell me if there is rail or bus transportation between the two areas?

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Chat Noir,
Ahhh the Dolomites!!
We've stayed twice at the Uhrerhof Deur in St Urlich...Val Gardena (if you check out the web-site they have a map posted)
www.uhrerhof.com
It is a beautiful little hotel...in a glorious location. AND it is only 150 euros per night including breakfast & a 4/5 course dinner for two. Terrific food!
I have a few photos of the area posted on my web-site....
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/italia
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 03:19 PM

ChatNoir,

There is public transportation between Cortina and Castelrotto or Ortisei, but it implies so many changes & detours that it makes no sense. See schedules for yourself at:
http://www.sii.bz.it/en/benvenuti.php

I strongly recommend renting a car, as it allows you to reach lifts and trailheads which would be almost impossible to reach any other way. The roads are excellent!

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 01:34 AM

ChatNoir - If you do stay in Castelrotto don't miss the new SeiserAlm/Alpe di Siusi cable-car ride from Siusi. I think it's the longest in Europe - over 4 km. A lovely ride!

There are some great ones from Val Gardena too - esp. Dantercepies, Seceda and Ciampinoi. You can't go wrong really.

Steve
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 06:01 AM

ChatNoir, glad to hear you're thinking of dividing the time betwee Cortina and Castelrotto (or Ortisei, which I don't know). We had a car for the whole trip, and knew it was only a couple hours drive between those two towns, but we ended up making a full day of it, stopping for some smaller hikes and going up a lift at Gardena for lunch, and lots of stops for picture taking -- that road is a spectacular drive. Once in Castelrotto, although there are some busses, we did better not relying on the schedules by taking a car and hiking. The one day we did do a hike and planned to take a bus back to town, we had just missed one and there wouldn't be another one for hours, so we walked all the way back. I'd urge you to get a car -- you'll appreciate it.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 04:57 AM

ChatNoir - Ignore my post above. Most of the lifts will be closed in May/early June, unfortunately.

But you can reach Alpe di Siusi and the upper Val Gardena by bus from Ortisei or Castelrotto, so you still have lots of hiking options.

Biking would be strenuous rather than recreational in most of this area, I think . There are plenty of other sporting options too ...

Places of interest which you can reach by public transport include Bolzano (Ice Man), Bressanone (& nearby Novacella Monastery), Vipiteno, Merano, Trento, Chiusa ... to name a few.

You could also reach Val Badia and Val d'Ega by bus, both of which are very scenic. Lake Braies is IMO one of the most beautiful lakes in Europe - a wonderful area to spend a day.

I'm envious already ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. I recently stayed at Garni Snaltnerhof in Ortisei and can recommend it:
www.snaltnerhof.it
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Actually, you can do some great, almost effortless bike riding on the old railbed running the length of the valley in which Cortina is set.

More info at:

http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/ce/index.html

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 05:26 AM
ChatNoir

Thanks again for all the good info and encouragement.

The pictures I've seen of this part of Italy are very impressive and the area, at least in the summer, appears to be a little off the normal tourist circuit.

I really like the mixture of German and Italian foods and customs.

Old Dec 28th, 2003, 05:30 AM

ChatNoir,

the mixture of Italian and German/Austrian food is indeed great... the breakfast buffet at our hotel (Park Hotel Faloria, www.phfaloria.com - HIGHLY recommended) had a rotating cake section with various strudels and the like, while the dinner included a delicious selection of antipasti!

Andre
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Umm... what I meant is that the cake selection varied daily, not that it was in one of those refrigerated rotating cases
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:30 PM
ChatNoir

Andre, thanks for the info. Looks good. Will have to hike a long ways to work off those cakes!

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 01:05 PM

That's vacation, italian style!