Search

Hiking in Italian Alps

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking in Italian Alps

I am in desperate need of advise!
I want to spend 6 to 7 days hiking in the Italian Alps, but can't seem to settle on an area. I've done a lot of hiking in Switzerland and Austria and have spent 3 days in the Dolomites - Val di Funes. I'm looking for a small, quiet, beautiful place as a base. Nice old mountain buildings. Dolomites? Mt. Blanc? Gran Paradiso? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much,
Laurie Donnay
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:46 AM

Val Gardena and Seiser Alm.
Stay in Ortisei or Castelrotto. Good luck !
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM

I visited Ortisei and Castelrotto last October after about an eight year absence and I wouldn't call them small and quiet at all. They seemed very built up and touristy to me and I couldn't get out of Ortisei fast enough. To give you an example, there is a huge hotel in Ortisei at least one block long, bright pink, with this large logo on the front- www.cavallinorosso.com.
However, the Alpi di Siusi is wonderful and the other upper level hiking is wonderful, but I don't think those towns really fit the description that LDonnay is asking for. I think the other villages in the Val Gardena are quieter.

I'm not sure I have the perfect place to suggest, either. Colfosco, on the other side of the Passo Gardena, fit the description 10 years ago. The season there is shorter than the Val Gardena and ends near the middle of September. A quieter, very beautiful area is the Val di Sesto northeast of Cortina. We stayed in Moso near the end of the valley, but either Sesto or Moso would qualify as small. San Candido nearby is a wonderful small town but no immediate hiking. We have also stayed in San Cipriano near Tires under the face of the Rosengarten range(not too far from CastelRotto)one year but it is not even a village and doesn't have the big variety of hikes. The Renon Plateau above Bolzano is very quiet and lovely but is probably better for walking than rigorous mountain hiking.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information!!
LDonnay
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM

Had a wonderful experience in Dolomites. Hut to Hut in Cortina area. The setting of the at Rif Nuvolao is really special. There are some crowds in the Cortina area but they are easily missed. Stayed in Zuel outside of the main town of Cortina. Easy to get in and out yet peaceful in the evening.When are you going?
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
I'd suggest La Villa/Stern in Alta Badia. We stayed at and can highly recommend:

www.montanara.it

www.altabadia.com

We also liked Val Gardena and the Seiser Alm.

Paul