Hotel in Oxford, England

Search

Hotel in Oxford, England

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Oxford, England

Need a hotel within easy walking distance to the center for September trip. Have seen very bad reviews of Bath Place Hotel. True? How about The Old Black Horse? Any other suggestions for under 100 pounds per night? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:26 AM

There aren't many hotels actually in the centre of Oxford, and I think you would be lucky to find a room for under 100 pounds (though there could be special offers). The Eastgate is very central. <BR><BR>However, there are frequent buses into Oxford along most of the main roads. If that isn't a problem, the Linton Lodge (about a mile north of the centre) could be a possibility. There are also numerous bed and breakfasts - just check that they are on a good bus route (ask back here if you like). I don't have any specific recommendations though.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:31 PM

If you wll stay in Oxford more than 2 nights,perhaps you could try the apartment of Landmark Trust (www.landmarktrust.co.uk). It is a lovely 18th century apartment on St,Michael's Street(the site of Univesity Union,on second floor),right at the centre of Oxford,2 minutes to the market.The cost is about 70 pounds per night (min 3 nights)
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:40 PM

The Landmark trust flat is wonderful - but it often books up a year or more in advance. So good luck!<BR><BR>As Ruth says - Hotels in the city center are limited and therefore pretty expensive. You will find much more to choose from out on Banbury Road or Woodstock road. <BR><BR>Both roads have bus lanes and VERY frequent public transport - continuous actually. You would not need to be within walking distance of the center
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:55 PM

We stayed in the Randolph a number of years ago. It is in the center of town and very lovely. I think there has been renovation recently. It was in an episode of &quot;Morse&quot; once. At least check the price.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:58 PM

We stayed in the Bath Place Hotel last year. It was fun, but if you're looking for luxury, look elsewhere. It's down a small alley. There were three of us, so we had two bedrooms, conjoined. We loved it! Sloping roofs, small, very English in a country way. It's hard to describe -- not very hotel-like! The breakfast in the small breakfast room was fine. The hotel is actually made up of several conjoined houses (flats?) from centuries past, so I can only vouch for the rooms we stayed in. It's located next to the Turf Tavern, an ancient pub that is well loved (and well frequented) by Oxford students. Would you like this hotel? Depends on what your expectations and standards are. We are well traveled and have stayed in accommodations from the most rustic to the (pretty near) most luxurious. We would stay at the Bath Place Hotel again. And the proximity to central Oxford (it's in central Oxford!) can't be beat. Be sure to take the free walking tour offered by the tourists office at 2 pm (which we just took a couple of weeks ago during a day visit to Oxford with friends).
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:30 PM

Last spring, I booked the flat of Landmark Trust only one month ahead,it was even cheaper staying 7 nights.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:09 PM

We stayed at the Bath House Place several years ago. It WAS charming but we were kept awake all night bu the Turf Pub next door. I don't think we would stay there again.