Hotel in Oia, Santorini

Search

Hotel in Oia, Santorini

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Oia, Santorini

WOW! I’ve been reading the threads and cannot decide in which hotel we (3 women/50’s) should stay in Santorini. We definitely decided to stay in Oia and take a bus to other places around. The problem is to choose a hotel. They all seem so perfect! We would like caldera views, a pool, and just and not too many steps. We came down to: Delfini, Volcano Villas, Caldera Villas, Nostos and Nikos. Any input on those? Thanks!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:17 AM

We stayed at Volcano Villas in June of this year. We certainly had a great caldera view, great pool and the steps were not difficult to negotiate. I would stay here again for the price and the great breakfast, but you should know this hotel is out of the town of Oia - probably a 10 minute walk. The plus side to this is it is much quieter than hotels in Oia - the negative is you have to walk a long way to get to a good selection of dining options in Oia.

I have lots of pictures from our trip to Greece, so email me if you want to see them online and I will send you the link. [email protected]

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:24 AM

If you can pass on the pool, Jack's Villas - I think room number 7- is really great. That room juts out into the caldera so that you have alot of privacy. It is also right in the middle of town so you are near restaurants and shops. We haven't been there in a while so it is possible that it has changed, but we loved it. There is a small kitchenette, and the bathroom is pretty primative, but we were 40s - 50s when we stayed and it didn't bother us at all. Oia is wonderful. You will love it.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:54 AM

First of all, Delfini doesn't have a pool.

Volcano's Villas is all above-ground modern construction and lacks the charm/character/authentic 'feel' the others do have, but there are no steps and it's nice and quiet with a great pool and view, and the walk into the center of Oia is a pleasant one. Nikos Villas is also above ground without any steps, but there's a pedestrian footpath between it and the sea so your enjoyment of the view may be hampered by people walking by. Nostos Apartments are very nice accomodations but there are lots of steps. Caldera Villas is centrally located in the heart of the village partway down the steps leading to Armeni, a small fisherman's wharf below Oia.

Lastly, there is no place named "Jack's Villas." If this is the "Jack" I'm familiar with, his rooms are now called either Alta Mare or Armeni Village. Both are well-located with few steps, but they don't have real pools, just small plunges, more like large spa tubs. http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...hoto325509.htm
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the tips!
I think that I am narrowing down to Caldera, Nikos or Volcano (although I would prefer a less "modern" atmosphere). Since we are going in June, a pool is a must for the end of the day!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Be advised that the pools are heated only by the sun, so depending on when you plan to travel it's possible the pool won't be all that pleasant. Mid-June through September should be fine, and earlier as long as there's been consistently warm weather.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Brother,
Thanks for the update. It has been years since I have been to Greece. I loved seeing the pictures and yes, Armeni Village is the former Jack's Villas. I don't know if he is still around, but he was quite the character. I will be leaving for a cruise next week and will visit beautiful Oia.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM

The first time I went to Santorini I lived right next door to where Armeni Village is located. It was a blank hillside, and Jack started construction while I was there. I watched with interest as the first stage of construction progressed. Over the course of that 6-month stay I got to know him and his wife Nicoletta, since they were owners of another rental house that was right next to the one I rented. I still remember that these two houses shared a common water tank, and he "stole" all the water one day to put in the separate tank that supplied his rental, WHILE I WAS IN THE SHOWER AND COVERED WITH SOAP! I had to rinse off with a bottle of water that thankfully I had in my house. I raised hell with him to no avail and had to go to my landlord, who proceeded to come down on Jack and Nickoletta like a 10-ton hammer, all in loud and angry Greek, of course, and after that there were no more problems. He even called me "filah" after that, which means 'friend'.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:59 AM

How wonderful that you were able to live there. We witnessed several fights that Jack had with his neighbors. It drew a crowd on the walk above. We actually had a fight with him on our second visit because we had a friend call ahead to reserve "our" room and he had rented it to someone else. We stormed off only to return the next day to make up with coffee and fresh melon. Thanks for your story - it brought back vivid memories. Do you still live in Greece?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 09:02 AM

That definitely sounds like Jack!

No, I live in Oregon. I go back to Oia whenever I can.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:30 AM

We stayed at Esperas Traditional Houses in Oia this past summer. The place was beautiful, service excellent. I highly recommend it.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM

can you provide some prices for these places you are talking about? also what transportation options are there to get to yourt hotel?
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM

Prices can be found online with a little effort. Use Google and keywords such as "Alta Mare Oia" and "Armeni Village Oia", etc.

Taxis and buses are avialable to all the villages. If you're arriving by ferry take the bus into Fira and another bus or taxi to whichever village you prefer. If you arrive by plane take a taxi.