Hotel in Ile St Louis vs Marais

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people have recommended staying on Ile St Louis as it is very charming. We are not-yet-30 somethings and when we travel, we tend to go out to late dinners and maybe even a post-dinner drink. This means that we often head home around midnight. Is Ile St Louis a little too far from the restaurants in the Marais and too quiet at night to be comfortable to walk home after dinner? Would we have to take a cab home at night?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:08 AM

That area is very walkable for a couple of 20-somethings. No need to cab it, IMHO. And there are a few nice, cozy restaurants on the island itself that are just right for sharing a bottle of wine, a romantic candle-lit dinner, and an after-dinner brandy or three.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:12 AM

It's walkable, and safe (but of course use some common sense!) There are some nice late-night places to eat in both locations.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. How long of a walk would you say from Marais area to Ile St Louis? We're torn between taking a hotel right in the center of the action in Marais (live in NYC and we're used to the noise and people traffic) and the idea of Ile St Louis as an "oasis".
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Where in the Marais? Do you have street map of Paris? You might want to pick up a "Streetwise Paris" amp at Barnes & Nobel.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:29 AM

If you are used to walking in NYC, you won't find it any big deal to walk from the Marais and back- it is all very compact there. The Marais, in my opinion, has more funky window shopping and the architecture is more medieval. The Ile is more what I think of as essential Paris (i.e. I can hear imaginary accordians playing there!)

The Marais was more of a night spot on my two stays there. Sunday evening it is incredibly crowded- this is apparently the big night for everyone in Paris to go out to the Marais and see and be seen.

They really are so close that I would pick based on price and hotel- you can walk back and forth so easily, and enjoy the romance of the Seine on your way.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:38 AM

The Marais is basically just across the river from Ile St-Louis, so it's not far. However, I would guess that the areas you might want to be out in are probably around 1/2 mile from where the hotels are on Ile St-Louis.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. From the map, it doesn't seem too far and we really do like walking. So I guess in that case my choice really depends on atmosphere.

Is Ile St Louis as great as all the hype? Hotel Jeu de Paume?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:21 AM

I really like Ile St Louis. I find it like a little village, with all the sops on the main street, some nice restaurants, and not a lot of traffic since it is not "on the way to somewhere". Lots of decent restos just over the bridge to Left Bank, and easy walk to metro. Also like the idea that I can hang out at night and watch the Seine and still only be a couple of minutes from hotel. Stayed at Deux Iles and Lutece, both are nice but small rooms. Jeu de Paume is a bit too $$$ for me. I recommend for ambience, not for night life.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Sobehappy

Deux Iles (borderline 2 *) might be worth considering, with its downstairs and fireplace. Be warned their desk coverage is sporadic. Their sister place, Lutece, is on a one star level, and if tiny rooms, outdated fare is your thing, this one might do it, provided they offered a really cheap rate. But Deux Iles would be ok.

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:32 AM

This really comes down to you. Both areas are charming, central, safe and right next to each other. But they are very different in feel. You're conceptions of the neighborhoods are pretty accurate as well. So... do you prefer to stay in the center of action or at the "oasis"? I don't think I can answer that for you.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:12 AM

traveller212,

Just to add to the excellent advice you have been given:

My wife and I are in our 60's. We stay in the Caron de Beaumarchais in the Marais, just across the bridge from the Ile St. Louis. From our hotel we walked to St. Chapelle for a concert, walked back to a restaurant deep in the Maraias, Le Pamphlet, then walked back to Berthillon, the bistro/ice cream place near the Bridge which leads in to to the Ile. No problem--and the romance of Paris will carry you along.

Never felt threatened.

Anthony
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:00 PM

I agree with Michel.
Having stayed at the Lutece and visited the Deux Ille, I think they are both quite charming. The rooms are small but that is typical of most Paris Left Bank hotel rooms.
They are "sister hotels" owned by the same people and they are on par with each other for service and quality. The Deux Ille is considered a 3* hotel, as is the Lutece.
It is a very safe area to walk at night. The streets are safe, there are plenty of restaurants and people out and walking. You are only steps away from Notre Dame. We never took cabs from the hotel, only back there once from Montparnasse.
Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide. We will be there (Paris) in just a couple of days!