Hotel in Florence

Search

Hotel in Florence

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Florence

I am planning to spend 3 nights in Florence in May as part of my 14 day trip to Italy. The first night, I am arriving in late afternoon by train from Venice and plan to visit Flroence that day and the day after. On the third day, I am planning a day trip to Cinque Terre.
I am trying to find a nice hotel or B&B, not too far from the train station and close enough to the main sightseeing areas. We like clean clean clean, something special to remember, a "gem" or somewhat luxurious, nice views if possible ...
There are 5 hotels that I have picked up from venere, trip advisor and this board.
- Il Guelfo Bianco
- Hotel Casci which seems to have great hosts and be very clean but my impression from some the posting is that it may be a bit basic (I may be totally wrong)
- Villa Antea
- Hotel David which seems similar to Hotel Casci but a bit away from the main area
- Hotel Orto De Medici

What is your advice? Or would you recommend another one?

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Try TOURIST HOUSE GHIBERTI, which is a gorgeous, well-run B&B about a block away from the Duomo.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Your impression of Casci is correct. The room decor is very basic, adn the entrance to the hotel un-appealing. although the staff is delightful, the breakfast very good, and the room we had was a nice size (a quad). We thought it was great value at the time (a few years ago).
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Our family had 2 quad rooms and one double room at the Hotel Casci in June.

The rooms were spotlessly clean, basic, but not barren. The A/C worked beautifully, and the soundproof windows with interior shutters kept all the noise out.

The staff at this hotel is wonderful. You are in a good location for sight-seeing, and it is a very good value for the money.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments on the Casci. I was hoping for something a bit more special without ruining me. Would there be another suggestion? I checked the Tourist House Ghiberti. The reviews are also great but it seems again a bit basic (Again -may be totally wrong)
Thank you for all your help.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Elise, A step up for you would include Orto de Medici and Morandi alla Crocetta. Have fun !
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:10 AM

If you want something special, look at the Bernini Palace.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I've had a few pleasant stays at the Hotel Paris:

http://www.parishotel.it/home.en.html

This is their official web site, though I've booked through Venere.com for much cheaper rates. (In May, the official web site quoted about 230 euro, while at Venere we paid about 150 euro.) It's centrally located near sites and 5-10 minute walk from the train station for your day trips. For the most recent visit mentioned, for two adults we requested two beds and got a room with two double beds and all those draperies you see on the web site. Some rooms may be bigger than others, but the breakfast room always impresses.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM

DH and I stayed at Tourist House Ghiberti a couple of years ago. We found it very pleasant, with modern, clean bathrooms and comfortable beds. They have computers with free Internet access in the rooms. The breakfast was very good, and the owners very pleasant to deal with. They found us a good driver for exploring in Tuscany. I would not call it gorgeous, but it is very nice. The artwork throughout is orginal, by local artists. There is no lobby, and when you enter the building, it is very dark and gloomy. There is a tiny elevator (just big enough for one person with luggage or two without) and the stairs are quite steep. The reception desk is on a landing up a few flights of stairs. The location can't be beat -- just behind the Duomo-- and it's close walking distance to the train station. The price was very good (we stayed a week, in off season, so it was especially good), and you can get a discount for paying cash. We would definitely stay there again, but it may not be exactly what you are looking for.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

It is just wonderful to get all your advices.

I checked the Benini - definitely a step up, probably even 3 steps up Hotel seems marvelous and so it the price.
The reviews on Hotel Paris and Morandi alla Crocetta are mixed on venere and trip advisor. Not everyone like the same things...
Maybe the Orto de Medici seems like an interesting compromise.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Elise,

We have stayed at the Orto de Medici many times and love this hotel..the staff is just wonderful and helpful and the location is not far from the Duomo...it is "clean, clean, clean" and it is always our first choice when returning to Florence. The views would have to be from the upper floor and if you want "somewhat luxurious", I would ask for a suite. Their breakfast room is one of my favorites in Italy with handpainted walls and a view to their terrace.