Hotel in Civitavecchia help..

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Civitavecchia help..

We fly into Fiumicino Airport late evening on June 16th 08. We board a cruise ship at Civitavecchia the next afternoon.
From what I can tell they are about 50km apart. Where should we stay?? Near the airport or in Civitavecchia. Also what is the best transportation from point A to point B. Don't want to spend tons. Mostly need a place to sleep. Safe and clean.
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM

You can take a train into Rome on the 16th - maybe stay near the train station since it is late. Next day head out to Civitecchia by train - this is the cheap way to go. You can search for a hotel near Termini (the train station)by going to www.venere.com. You can get train schedules at www.bahn.de This should work unless you are getting into Rome so late that the trains have stopped running from the airport to the city. You will have time to do a little sightseeing in Rome too if you want - at least drink a coffee at an outdoor cafe and people watch before heading to the post.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM

I think I would stay in Civitavecchia if you're not interested in going to Rome.
It takes about 90 mins. to get to Civitavecchia from Rome. Of course, this depends on traffic.

We returned last month from a cruise whose last port was Civitavecchia. We had been to Rome several times but wanted to spend some time there.

My husband arranged for a limo service to pick us up at the port and to take us to the airport the next day.

Believe me, there's not much to see in Civitavecchia.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Another thought. Check on cruisecritic.com and also tripadvisor.com for recommendations on a hotel.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

thanks suec1 and Katie2. I will use those webistes I appreciate the advice.
kmadsen