Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overnight stay in Rome taking the cruise on the following day?

Old Jun 5th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some help on how to arrange best my one night and half-day stay in Rome before taking the cruise from Civitavecchia (Rome). The flight arrives very late at night. Does it make sense to spend a night somewhere close to the airport, and go to Rome the next day? How to spend few hours before the cruise starting from Civitavecchia (check in time around 2-3 pm). What kind of transportation is available? I really appreciate some help, including recommendation of the hotel good for three persons to stay. Thanks, Elena
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 05:00 PM

If your flight arrives late at night and your cruise leaves the next day, don't bother trying to do anything. You won't have time. We took a cruise from Rome last year but we got to Rome three days early. The cruise line usually provides transportation from Rome to the port. Check with them.
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 05:56 PM

It will take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half to get to the port from Rome. You may want a car service - about 120 euros.

If you go on cruisecritic.com and sign up for the roll call of your cruise, you might be able to hook up with someone else and share the ride. You can also take a train.

If you get up early, you might have about three hours in Rome. You might get some kind of quick tour or choose one thing to see and pre-book. That is really rushing around though and perhaps not a great way to start the cruise. You say you are arriving on a very late flight. Especially if it is a TA flight, best is probably not to plan on anything in Rome.
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 07:04 PM

How late is very late? Without knowing that we can only give you a non specific recommendation.The last commuter train from the airport to Rome leaves at 11:37PM. Or you could taxi to Rome. Or you could stay at the only true(walking distance) airport hotel, the Hilton Rome Airport.

If you choose to stay at the Hilton Airport Hotel you could go to the ship in three ways.
1. Hire a car service or taxi to go from the Hilton to the ship.You will have to kill some time in the morning at the airport or at the check in building at the airport.
2. Train to Rome Termini station.Then take a relaxing train ride to the port city.Don't forget to get off at Civitavecchia.
3. Hire a car/guide to pick you up at the Hilton, give you a half day tour of Rome, and then drive you to the ship $$$.

My choice would be to sleep in Rome. Stay at a hotel in the tourist area. Wake up in Rome. Spend the morning there.Then take the train to the port. Board your ship. The cruise is on!
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 09:07 PM

What makes sense on not depends on what you plan to do between landing and heading to the port. This is not stated. What enables you to do things you want is what makes sense.

If you are landing so late and tired that you would not be taking a walk outside the hotel on arrival night and you want to go straight to bed, then traveling to Rome means you will simply be getting to bed later than if you had stayed at a hotel at airport.

If your group is a type that wants to sleep in because it is a vacation, then you have little time to do anything in Rome. In this case, staying in Rome has a negative of less time to sleep, but positive of better meal choices and a short stroll near your hotel.

If I have to have a flight like this, I would stay in Rome. I would walk around at night no matter how tired I might be to capture more evening photos of quintessentially beautiful Rome night scenes. And then I would wake up super early to capture images of Rome at sunrise, have breakfast at earliest time hotel offers, check-out and leave luggage at hotel, then hit one thing in the morning, have lunch, pickup luggage from the hotel and head to the port. I would then crash once I am on the boat. Of course, I would not purposely book a flight like this.
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 12:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not clear from your post if you are clear on the geography of where you're going. From the airport at FCO, Rome itself is sort of in a north west direction and is 20 miles away. There are lots of taxis at the airport to take you into the city, some €40/50 in cost. If your plane lands really late, maybe around midnight, by the time you get into Rome with baggage and immigration, customs etc, it could be 2am. You aren't going to see much at that time and you'll be jetlagged later that morning. By the time you get up, eat breakfast and check out, you won't have much time for sightseeing, even if you feel like it.

The alternative is to go direct to a hotel in Civitavecchia from the airport, some 40 miles away in a north westerly direction for around €120 and although you'll still be jetlagged when you wake up, you'll have a bit more time to "come round".

Cost from Rome itself to the port is similarly around €120, so you'll save both time and cash. I understand that you'd want to try and see Rome, but off a long flight is not the best way, as you'll probably sleep through the first day or so of your cruise
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"From the airport at FCO, Rome itself is sort of in a north west direction ". Sorry, that should be "North East".
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 10:11 AM

I was about to correct you, Rubicund, but you beat me to it!

I myself would probably do as Greg would, but we're all different.

If you go into central Rome by taxi, the guaranteed Rome taxi fare is €48 for up to four people (all going to the same place) and their luggage. You have to make sure it's a Rome taxi, not a Fiumicino city taxi.

I would stay near the area you want to visit in the morning, so that you can leave your luggage at the hotel and pick it up when you're ready to go to the port, without having to do too much trekking around.

I wouldn't do anything for which an advance reservation is required or recommended, because you may just not feel like doing it in the morning. There are dozens of things you can see and do that are easily managed on the spur of the moment. I don't know anything about your interests, so I won't get into specifics.

If you stay at the airport, there is a guaranteed Rome taxi fare from the airport to the cruise port of €120. There's no guaranteed fare from central Rome to the cruise port.

There are limousine services which are very reliable and don't cost much more than a taxi. I've used www.romeshuttlelimousine.com myself, and was well satisfied. The reliable services don't request payment in advance.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your recommendations. I am bit confused, I need time to pick up the one that suits me better. You are right, I did not bring up many specifics since I was not sure if I am getting any responses at all. This is my first time trying to ask help from people I do not know, and I am very impressed with the outcome! Thank you very much! So, yes, we (3 persons) are arriving around 10pm from San Francisco, and I agree that by the time we get into Rome it could be 1am (?). Forget about the evening photos of beautiful Rome night scenes, even though the idea is so tempting! It is also true that we'll still be jetlagged when we wake up in the morning, and this is our biggest concern. However we still want to have at least a stroll near the hotel, nice late 'Italian' breakfast/early lunch just for the feeling of being in Italy. Even though it is not our first visit, it's been 8 years since we've been in Rome. Regarding the transportation to the port, from all the suggestions I tend to take the taxi to the port, since this will give us more time to spend in Rome (from what I am reading I do not think it will be enough time for any kind of the sightseeing tours). Can you recommend any nice hotel (not terribly expensive)in the central area close to attractions, and also friendly to those who leave your luggage at the hotel and pick it up when you're ready to go to the port. The other option will be to take the train to the port, but I am not sure is I'll have enough time for that, and also how convenient is to travel from the train station to the port with the luggage? I guess I still need some clarification on the transportation cost: "to go into central Rome by taxi from the airport, the guaranteed Rome taxi fare is €48 for up to four people (all going to the same place) and their luggage". (is this this cost for each person?) And how I make sure to take a Rome taxi, and not a Fiumicino city taxi? And a last question: If I decide to save time and money and go straight to the port on the night of arrival, are there any attractions in the port area to spend quality time on the day of the cruise?
Thank you Elena
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 03:07 PM

Hi Elena
>> Regarding the transportation to the port, from all the suggestions I tend to take the taxi to the port, since this will give us more time to spend in Rome > Can you recommend any nice hotel (not terribly expensive)in the central area close to attractions, and also friendly to those who leave your luggage at the hotel
and pick it up when you're ready to go to the port. >Rome taxi fare is €48 for up to four people (all going to the same place) and their luggage". (is this this cost for each person?)> And how I make sure to take a Rome taxi, and not a Fiumicino city taxi? And a last question >If I decide to save time and money and go straight to the port on the night of arrival, are there any attractions in the port area to spend quality time on the day of the cruise?
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 04:25 PM

Hi

I attempted to construct a rough itinerary for you. This is on the basis you are required to board your cruise ship by 4pm on sailing day.

10pm: Arrive Rome airport (assuming no flight delays).

1am: Check into hotel. Choose one in the Trevi/Piazza Navona/Spanish steps zone.

10am: Check out/breakfast. But ask for a later checkout/breakfast in case you need to use that option. Take a stroll. Leave luggage at hotel - this is generally not a problem for hotels. If you miss breakfast have it at Piazza Navona and then visit Trevi fountain for photos.

12 o'clock: Taxi to port.

1.30pm: Arrive Civitavecchia. Check onto cruise ship. This process normally takes around 1.5 hours on average, less if you have priority boarding.

3.00pm: In your cabin. Ahhhh....

So it's doable but tight. Hence the need to choose your hotel wisely.

Civitavecchia is a pleasant enough port. There are cafes and restaurants. There is a market selling clothes, tourist stuff, food, fruit, vegies, flowers - you get the picture. All of this is 5-10 minute stroll to the ship.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 05:29 PM

We sailed with Holland America last April. They provided bus transportation from a downtown Rome hotel to the port. There can be a modest charge for this or sometimes it can be included, depending on what kind of deal your travel agent can make for you. I would explore this option. It was very convenient.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 08:02 AM

Arriving late in the evening, I would book a car service. Either Rome Cabs www.romecabs.com or Rome Shuttle Limosine, they are both very close in price to a taxi (48 euro). They meet you in the terminal and will take care of your luggage for you.

Stay at a hotel in the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area, get up in the morning (leave luggage at hotel) and have breakfast in a close by Piazza and enjoy the fact that you are in Rome. Wander around a bit, have a gelato before heading back to your hotel to pick up your luggage. I would use the same car service for your transfer to the Port.

Not knowing your budget, it is hard to recommend a hotel but as mentioned booking.com is a good website to use.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Oh MG, the ready-to-go itinerary from 'worldinabag' plus all my question answered by Gary and help from all the others! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Now I just need to concentrate on picking the hotel and transportation company. Sounds like a plan! I am going to check first with Orbitz since they provide discounts on all reservations if I booked the cruise with them, which I did!
Thank you again for your help!
Elena
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:10 PM

I don't know when your cruise is, but Trevi Fountain is undergoing serious reconstruction, scheduled to be finished this autumn.

The Rome taxi guaranteed fare is for any time of day or night. The taxis have a with Rome SPQR shield on the door. Here is a photo:

http://www.roninrome.com/wp-content/...3/img-3575.jpg

This may be an old photo; now they should also have the explanation of the guaranteed fare on the door.

A private limousine service is also a valid alternative. I've used www.romeshuttlelimousine.com and was quite satisfied with their service. They definitely add a fee for late-night pickup. If you send them all your flight details, they'll give you a firm price quote. You pay them when you get to the hotel.