One-night stay in Rome after Cruise

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One-night stay in Rome after Cruise

My husband and 3 kids, ages 6-9 will be deboarding in Rome from a cruise in June, and would like to spend the night at a reasonable hotel before our long flight back to the U.S. We will be flying out of FCO the following morning, so probably somewhere near that airport would be best. Any suggestions? Keep in mind we have 5 in our family, and I know many European hotels cannot accomodate that many in one room. Does anyone know of an exception? Thanks for any information!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would stay in Rome, not out at the airport. How early is your flight? What is your hotel budget? Would your kids want to stay near the Coloseum or Vatican?

You do know the port for Rome (Civitavecchia) is an hour train ride outside the city?

I would book www.romeshuttlelimousine.com for the trip to the airport from the hotel.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

To be honest, we just decided today we were definitely going on the cruise, so I had not yet researched the logistics of this 24 hour stay. We will be deboarding the ship in the morning, so we have the day to take in a little bit of the city. Yes, we would love to see the Vatican. Is FCO the best airport to fly out of or is there a better option since we have an extra day and we will be in Rome rather than near the port? We have not made plane reservations yet, so we have some flexibility. I would be comfortable spending between $350-$500 USD for the evening on a hotel. Thanks for the limo advice. I will definitely keep that in mind. By the way, is the train the best way to get from the port into the city of Rome? Is there a train station close to the port?
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM

FCO is much closer to Rome than to Civitavecchia. The train station is close (depending on where your ship actually docks might make it a bit more of a trek). Limo transfers from the port to Rome are pricey, but might be worth it if you have lots of luggage. Trains will cost about 7€ 1st cl adult and 4.5€ 2nd cl. Most trains take about 70 minutes, but there are a few that take a little less or as much as 30 minutes more.

FCO will most likely be your airport as the other airport(Ciampino) is mainly smaller airlines or budget flights connecting to other cities in Europe.

I've used www.limoservicerome.com for airport transfers, but Rome Shuttle is cheaper and gets food reviews.

What day of the week will you be in Rome?
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM

Hi,

I am not saying that they don't exist, but I have never read about a hotel that has rooms that accommodate 5 persons. Maybe if it ahs 2 double beds plus a cot you could all fit? You might need to go with 2 rooms.

My last time in Rome a couple of years ago I used a company called reservationitaly.com which offered very good discounts for hotels. For example, we booked through them the hotel Ponte Sisto, which is very well located, steps from Campo D'Fiori, at 50% of the hotel regular rate. We had a triple room there.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the posts. It looks like we'll be flying out of FCO, based on your advice. We will be in Rome on a Sunday night. I will try the website suggested, reservationitaly.com. We ran into the same issue with 5 in a room in London last year, but I was able to find lodging at the Citadines which worked out perfectly. I would rather not get 2 rooms, because I know hotels can't guarantee rooms together. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Hi Neal,

Good luck with your search. The good thing is that you have time to find accommodations .

I am curious.... Did you find a cabin on your ship that accommodates all five of you?

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:50 AM

The Vatican Museums aren't open on Sunday, but you could still visit St. Peter's.

There are a few hotels that have family rooms or B&B's. There's always convents that have family rooms which your kids might think a fun adventure.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Cruiseluv - Yes, we were able to find a cabin aboard the Navigator of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) that accomodates all of us. I'm sure it will be tight quarters, but it'll be fun. I also found a website - the one I had used for our trip to London - Citybaseapartments.com - and they do have apts in Rome as well. I'm waiting to hear from them. If they do not have anything available, I will try some of the suggestions posted. (I like the convent idea - That would certainly be different!)
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:46 AM

You learn something new everyday... I never knew they had cabins for more than 4 on ships.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Fraterna Domus has a multi-room and is near Piazza Navona. They have AC, but the room will be very basic as most convents. I have the e-mail if you decide to try it.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

I did hear back from CityBaseApts, and 2 reasonable choices are available. Because we only have 24 hrs in Rome, we obviously want to pick the apt that is in a safe and centrally-located area. Here are the addresses as listed on the website: "Via di San Martino ai Monti, Rome 00-184" and "Via di Santa Maria in Monticelli 74, Rome. After deboarding the cruise and dropping our luggage at the apt, I thought we could spend the day looking at a few sights. Because of our short stay, I realize we will not be able to take extensive tours, but at least we'll be able to experience some beautiful history for a day. The 3 sights that sound too good to pass up to me are the Vatican, the Colosseum, and the Pantheon. From the small map on the website, it looks as though the first address listed is somewhat close the Colosseum and the Pantheon. Would they be within walking distance or should we hop on a bus or metro? Could we then take the metro to the Vatican? Any advice on the logistics of our time would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind we are travelling with 3 kids, ages, 6,8,and 9. If other sights should be considered before making our final plans (rather than the ones I have chosen), please let me know. Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM

You say you would like to be centrally located. That first one is not very central. It's not even all that close to the Colosseum, although I see it's not too far from the Cavour Metro stop, which you could take to the Colosseum. The metro is not all that helpful for a lot of Rome, as you can't get to the historic center on it. Every time they try to build new lines, they run into more archeological finds and have to stop.

I can't even find the second apartment on my map, which means it's really far out.

If you really want to be centrally located, you will want to look in the Piazza Navana/Pantheon/Campo de' Fiori area. Or something between that area and the Colosseum, or between that area and the Trevi Fountain, would also be better than those two.

If you do take the metro, make sure you keep track of those 3 kids on the crowded trains!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM

OK, I just did a map search for Via di Santa Maria in Monticelli, and now I've found it. It actually IS in a pretty good location, just southwest of Largo d. Torre Argentina. Much better than the other one. If you stay there, make sure you stop by the Torre, as that's where the cat sanctuary is and the kids will probably love seeing all the cats.

This location puts you in between the Colosseum and Pantheon, also not too far from Piazza Navona and Campo de' Fiori.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

SusanP - As you were probably posting your last message, I went back to the website and looked at the location of that apt and found the same thing. If available, I think I will rent this one. Thanks for your insight. How easy is it to get across the river to Vatican City from this location? How would we do it? My kids would love to see the cats - we'll have to try and do this. What order would you suggest seeing the sights? Is it better to go to any of them early in the morning b/c of crowds forming later? Is the Colosseum and Pantheon within walking distance of this apt or would we be best to take a bus, taxi or metro? Time, obviously, is an important factor.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM

What time does your ship dock? Or I should say, what time will you actually be able to get off? If you take the train from the port, you will then need to take a taxi from Termini to your apartment. This will all take a while. I'm not sure you have time to go to both Colosseum and the Vatican, which are in opposite directions. Everything takes longer with 5 people, especially when 3 of them are small children. Depending on how much time you actually have, you might need to decide which of the 2 is more important to you.

If possible, I would take a shuttle from the port, which should be quicker and will drop you off right at the apartment.

It might be a bit of a trek to the Colosseum with the kids. You can walk the short distance to Torre d. Argentina, see the cats, and then catch a bus in either direction. That is a major bus hub. You can take #46 or 64 to the Vatican. Some people call the 64 the "Pickpocket Express," but I've used it numerous times with no problem. Just be aware of your surroundings, don't have money or credit cards in an easily accessible pocket or section of your purse.

I'm not sure of the bus number to the Colosseum from there, but you can look at the signs to see which one stops at the Colosseum.

You could leave the Pantheon for late afternoon, as it's open until 6:30, and then it's not far to the Piazza Navona.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM

I lost track of how much time you have in Rome but if only the day you arrive in the port, I agree with SusanP. You probably cannot do both the Vatican and Coliseum on the same day. The Vatican requires waiting in a long line for usually anywhere from 20-45 minutes before getting in. I am not sure whether your kids are good walkers or not but we (two adults) would definitely walk to the Coliseum from your apartment but then again we would typically walk all day in Rome. But I have no idea what that would be like with kids. If you choose the Coliseum over the Vatican you walk to Largo Argentina to see the cats then take a cab from there to the Coliseum, then walk from there up through Centro Historico to the Pantheon. Once you cross a few main streets, the rest of the streets near the Pantheon are all pedestrian only and they can be incredibly charming to walk around. Walking in this part of Rome is how you really see the city. There are lots of sidewalk cafes by the Pantheon for a quick bite and one of the best gelato shops(Giolitti at Via Ufficio del Vicario 40)
in Rome is only a few short walking blocks past the Pantheon (maybe a bit of a bribe to get the kids to do the walk??). Then maybe after the Pantheon you can either walk back or take a cab back to your apartment depending on your energy.
Hope you work it all out. ROME is the best!!!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM

I don't think you will have a 20-45 minute line for the Vatican. The line for St. Peter's is for security screening only and moves very fast. I think Paulo was referring to lines for the Vatican Museums which won't be open while you are there.

Since your time is so short, I would plan on a few taxis between sites. You can buy advance tickets for the Coloseum to avoid lines.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM
J62

Any chance you can add a 2nd night in Rome? The big costs of your trip - air and cruise will aleady be paid for. Also, don't count on getting into your apt at an early hour - the previous guests need to checkout, and cleaning done.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:08 PM

I would suggest using a taxi, they are really not that expensive and you will save alot of time between sites and your kids will thank you. Another suggestion would be to do 2 sites and then drive be the others. My parents took taxi's most places and it was around 5 or 6 euros. We had a taxi drive us around the major sites at night and we stopped to take pictures at different places, it was only 15 euros.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information