Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel for 3 adults in Lisbon Center - VIP Eden?

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a central hotel to accommodate two parents and a 27-year old daughter in Lisbon? My husband and I will be in Portugal 4 weeks in September and our youngest daughter is joining us for the first two weeks. She's never been to Europe, so I'm anxious to get off to a good start at our first stay in Lisbon. And my husband just had a knee replacement so I have to worry about his mobility. Ideally I'd love a guesthouse or small hotel with atmosphere. The problem: I've booked our first 4 nights at the VIP Eden at Praca Restauradores 24 because it seems like an ideal location, but reviews (TripAdvisor) are mixed, leaning to critical: dangerous, unclean, trashy area, and dark, outdated, unclean two-star hotel at a 4-star price with breakfast not included. I also haven't been able to confirm whether the "apartment" has the sofa-bed in a room separate from the bedroom. I want to stay well under $200/night (for all three of us) if feasible. Any suggestions for a better option? Look for 2 rooms in a budget hotel instead of trying to find a "suite"? Worth it to keep on looking or should we chance it at the Eden, be cautious, and hope for the best?! Any ideas or feedback welcome!
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Hi - have two suggestions for you. When I stay in Lisbon, I stay at the Hotel Mundial. It is extremely convenient, near Rossio Square, the train station and walking distance to the downtown shopping areas. Tram 28 stops in front of the hotel and you can walk to the train station for day trips out of the city. Room rates include buffet breakfast which is not luxurious but is certainly ample and a good variety of dishes. Don't know if they have suites but do check out their website.
Also, since you are staying for 4 weeks, you might prefer to rent an apartment with two bedrooms. Check out "Owner's Direct." This is a great program which I have personally used (am renting a villa in Nice in Sept) and I have a friend who has properties in Portugal which he lists on the Owner's Direct website. You will see apartments located all around Portugal - am assuming that there would be plenty to choose from in Lisbon proper. You will be able to see photos of the properties and a list of amenities, rental rates, proximity to local transportation and airport and then deal directly with the owner for the rental. This option may be more preferable than staying in a hotel for so long - you may get a little cramped.
In any event, I hope these two suggestions are of assistance to you. Best of luck and enjoy your Lisbon holiday.
Cora
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the solid recommendations. The Mundial does have 3-person options. I think we'll keep the Eden and book the Mundial when we return to Lisbon later in September.

I also researched Owners Direct. What a great resource. Our itinerary this trip doesn't work well with an apartment because we're on the move, but I will definitely plan ahead on future trips!
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 03:57 AM

I heard good things (a few years ago) from a friend who stayed at Eden. I also passed by the location myself and thought it was well located - actually I have it on my list for a return journey to Lisbon (we always stay in apartments so we don't have to share a room with our daughter and Eden seems like a good option).

Many of the properties on Owners Direct will take bookings for 4 nights, just FYI.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM

I wouldn't feel comfortable entering/leaving the Eden-too many characters just hanging around!
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:31 AM

We are going to Portugal in the fall. Over the past 5 years or so always stay in apts. We will be in Proto for 3 nights in an apt. I look for washer/dryers, sometimes a DW and internet if important. This way you can have breakfast at home, pack a lunch if desired and do not have to eat out unless you want to. Drinks or snacks will always be cold.

Look at vrbo.com, homeaway.com (the two that we are using in Portugal and the ones we used for 2 months in Italy).

In Lisbon we are staying with homeaway apt #233888 and the homeowner has sent me reams of information even going so far as to calling individual train stations across the country for luggage storage questions I had. Enjoy. jk
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stayed at the Eden for a couple of nights two years ago. Nothing wrong with the area - in fact it's great for transport and restaurant options. But my room wasn't great - if you're staying there make sure you get a room that faces the square, they may be in better shape and will certainly have a better view.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 09:00 AM

So you liked all the creepy guys hanging out/sitting in the street at all hours of the day and the stench of urine?
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM

I have to agree with thursdaysd on this one. I would not describe the area the way chapla does, at least based on my frequent visits to Lisbon.

The VIP Eden is located right at a busy square, Restauradores, where the Avenida de Liberdade ends just outside the Rossio. There is a metro stop virtually outside the door of the hotel. I have been there many many times both during the day and at night and did not see the scene described in the previous post.

I've never been inside the VIP Eden hotel, but it's very close to another popular, kind of high end hotel, the Avenida Palace. I've had to pick people up at that hotel a number of times over the years and no one has ever complained about the surroundings.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 10:03 AM

I was in Lisbon this past Easter!!!!! I am trying to be honest and as a single female I repeat,I would not feel safe/comfortable in that area ,especially at night!
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM

I, too, am a solo female traveler, and while I noticed there were a fair number of guys hanging out near the Eden, I did not feel threatened by them. I think there is some kind of municipal office nearby, and think there may have been fewer guys around at night. I did prefer staying at the Residential Florescente a block or so away, which is cheaper but with smaller rooms and a rather poor breakfast. I felt that the Eden was overpriced, even with an Internet special.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM

It's the unemployment/social service building!My hotel advised me not to walk down there once it got dark-that's when the prostitutes come out in full force!
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 10:51 AM

Well, I certainly walked there after it got dark, and nothing whatever happened to me. Of course, the prostitutes wouldn't have been interested in me.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 08:43 PM

There are some good features about staying at the Eden. The rooftop open swimming pool is quite lovely, with great views of the river, castelo and the elevador. The breakfast selections are a ripoff and not great so we took our bereakfast next door at the Olympic Taverna, on the other side of the unemployment office..no problems of any kind. We were out all day and came back later at night on most nights.
The convenience of the funicular two doors away, which brings you straight up into the Bairro Alto, is also a plus. And the hotel is very close to the "street of eats" and the best chicken dinners in town (Bon Jardim). It's only two blocks to catch Tram #28 to the Castelo, and the trolley to nearby Belem.
If you expect to spend any time in Sintra, Cascais and/or Estoril, there are trains also conveniently located nearby.

It ain't the Ritz kiddo, but comfortable, elevator, helpful staff. You want luxury, stay next door at the elegant Avenida Palace...double+ the rate...but in any case, enjoy!!!

stu
(here are some of my Portugal pix on most recent stay in '08)..includes Lisbon, Sintra, Cascais, Arraiolos, Evora, Marvao, Obidos, Belmonte.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Portugal2008#