Lisbon or Sintra for January stay

Old Aug 20th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisbon or Sintra for January stay

We are considering a January week/ten days in Lisbon. We are older folk who move slowly, love art, history and gardens, and want to just enjoy a relaxing week. Would we be better off in Lisbon proper or Sintra?
We also prefer self-catering apartments. What would be the best neighborhood? I want to be able to run out daily and shop for that day's dinner. A good neighborhood will have lots of shops (bakeries, greengrocers, butchers, wine stores, etc.) withing a ten minute walk of the apartment. And if you have suggestions for a specific rental, even better. It's just the two of us so a one-bedroom is fine.
Otherwise open to all wisdom: restaurants, churches, museums, parks all of it.
Thanks so much. Ellen
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Especially in January I would stay in Lisbon. (Actually I, personally, would always stay in Lisbon...)

I like to stay on the flat in the Baixa.

I've only written one TR on Lisbon and it's dated, but the sights are still there: Loving Lisbon
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 05:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would only conssider staying in Lisbon too. Look at visitingportugal.com. The owners of these properties are US ex-Pats who are extremely helpful during your stay.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 04:13 AM

We stayed in Sintra nine years ago (wow does time fly), and we loved every minute. We stayed in a well located simple apartment that we recall was owned by British expats. You can see the apartment here: Stayatcinco.com B&B in Sintra, Portugal
The several castle/palaces are an easy walk, as is the historic village We highly recommend a visit to Qunita da Regaleira. Its quirky park, gardens, and tunnels will put a smile on your face.
An excellent website on Sintra: http://www.sintra-portugal.com/index.html

Last edited by whitehall; Aug 21st, 2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 06:33 AM

We stayed in Lisbon in an apartment found via booking.com and managed by Portugese people (there are some in Lisbon... ).
Sintra is superb for a daytrip, and I'd recommend doing it per train, a car is a libalilty (no parking...) in Sintra.