Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel du Champ de Mars vs. Hotel des Grandes Ecoles . . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 11:58 AM
Carol Lehrman

Hi: <BR> <BR>We returned from Europe about a month ago and are planning our next trip - this time about two weeks in France with one week in Paris. We can't seem to get enough of Paris! <BR> <BR>I've narrowed it down to these two hotels and would like peoples input on each. (Don't want to stay where we did this time - Hotel du Palais Bourbon, $100 a night, not bad, but nothing special). <BR> <BR>I've already gotten some good info on des Grandes Ecoles and would like input on Champ de Mars (and more on Grandes Ecoles if anyone has something they want to add). Am especially interested in room size, how you felt about location, etc. <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Carol Lehrman

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 12:02 PM
elaine

If you do a Search on this forum on each hotel, you will find previous postings. <BR>Good luck <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 12:30 PM
kathy

We stayed at Champ de Mars for one week in May. Loved it! Extremely convenient and safe location - walk to Eiffel Tower and many eating places. two blocks to Metro one way, two blocks to bus stop the other. Bakery on corner either corner,mmmmm + (2) neighborhood groceries several doors away to get picnic or evening cheese and wine. Room was attractively decorated and nice size with adequate bathroom (shower & tub), table and two chairs and king bed. Large built-in closet with shelves and hanging space. We definitely will stay there on our next trip - probably in a room off the street since the Bistro (which has good food) across the street sets up early each morning. We didn't need an alarm clock, but it really didn't bother us either. The breakfast (additional $6pp) was better and cheaper than we got "on the street", and it was served in a delightful breakfast room. the majority of guests I think were American - if that matters. We found it easy to exchange ideas and experiences at that once-a-day encounter. Enjoy! <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 02:36 PM
Carol Lehrman

Elaine: Shame on me . . . I know better than to not first do a search! But thanks for the reminder (and I did find lots of great into) <BR> <BR>Kathy: One more positive about the Champ de Mars. Thanks! <BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Mia

Do the hotel rooms have hairdryers???

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Mia

Do the hotel du champ de mars baths have hairdryers

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 12:32 PM
elle

I've stayed at the Champ du Mars and it was lovely (although our room was teensy, even by Paris standards). I like the location, although I think I prefer the location of the Grandes Ecoles just a bit (the area around the Champs du Mars can be a little too quiet).<BR><BR>If you opt for the Champs du Mars, avoid Room #1 (the tiny room right behind the desk). And yes, we did have a hairdryer in our bathroom. Haven't stayed in a hotel in Paris that hasn't had one.<BR><BR>We'll be at the Grandes Ecoles in May, so if your trip is after that, I can report in and compare the two hotels. . .