Search

Hotel de Russie or Eden Hotel - -Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:53 PM
jmp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel de Russie or Eden Hotel - -Rome

Trying to decide between these 2 hotels - -read lots of raves about Hotel de Russie, but not much about the Eden Hotel....

thanks
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 05:43 AM

The Eden's rooms vary in quality. Some are large and gorgeous and some are small, dark and frankly, not gorgeous. A while ago, there were complaints that some rooms had a bad odor coming from the pipes in the bathrooms. I'm not sure if that problem was corrected or not. I think the smaller de Russie would be the better choice.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:37 AM

We stayed at the Eden last summer and hated it. We had a suite plus a connecting room and they were both awful. I didn't notice any odors coming from the pipes but we would not stay there again. The furniture had cigarette burns and the beds were hard as a rock. Stay at the Russie!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Another vote against the Eden. We didn't like it all. Del Senato is where we'll stay from now on.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:14 AM
jmp
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. I am suprised that my ta would recommend the Eden - since she ususally sends us to great places. I'm not sure if I want to pay 580 euro for the smallest room at Hotel de Russie - do you know if they ever have special offers? I had trouble with its website last night, but I will try again. Any other hotel recommendations in this category?

thanks
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 11:26 AM

The St. Regis Grand is splendid in every way. Also the Raphael, although a four star, is lovely and extremely well located. But I too will probably stay at the three star Del Senato from now on. The rooms with terraces overlooking the Pantheon are perfect.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Can the people who stayed at Hotel Eden and found it awful please post your comments on tripadvisor.com. That would help others. Currently there are 2 comments on tripadvisor.com and both are very favorable so your viewpoints would really be helpful. Thanks.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Hands down stay at the Russie, if you want to pay their hefty prices. The Eden is known to be a top hotel which is why your ta probably recommended it, but it feels stuffy to me. The Russie is more stylish, contemporary, yet luscious and luxurious. I think the Eden is living on its reputation. The price of 580 Euros at the Russie does seem very high, though. I think you can get a great room in Rome for much less. An alternative at a lower price is the De la Ville Intercontinental(next door to the Hassler). Their rack rate is high but they are always running specials, you have to ask about them when you call. (summer special is offering 1/2 off). They just completely refurbished the hotel, including the rooms. Take a look at Karen Brown's Italy book, she has other recommendations.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Bootman4U

Always check with a discount site..sometimes you get lucky to include the Hassler and the Intercontinental. There are plenty of comparable hotels and don't get hung up about being near the infamous Spanish Steps to the ruination of your budget, either. Once you've seen them...well, you've seen them. They aren't nearly as captivating as other monuments..and you can always spend all that money you'll save at other hotels on taxi rides to...the Spanish Steps!!!! Good Luck!