Rome: Hassler vs. De Russie

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome: Hassler vs. De Russie

My husband and I are taking a trip of a life time next June with our two kids and it will probably be one of the last family vacations together because the kids are getting older and will have their own adventures soon. We are willing to spend the money to do it up right. I've seen several posts on this sight regarding these hotels but nothing super recently about the Hassler. So here are my questions:

Has the Hassler been refurbished? (I had heard it was slightly run down)
Are the rooms sizes comparable?
Do the city views at the Hassler make it more worthwhile?
Is the De Russie in a more peaceful location?
Are the staffs both really friendly?
Is it more fun to stay at a more authentic Rome Hotel (Hassler) or opt for a more modern experience?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:34 AM

In 2002 I made my first trip to Italy. We stayed 2 nights at the Hassler. I thought it was the biggest rip off I have ever encountered.

I don't mind spending $$$$ for hotels but the the size of the room was pitiful...extremely small for 600E. The shower did not work properly but they did fix it when asked.

We had room service for breakfast which was good but again I thought the price was not worth it.

The views from our room were not particularly good either. However, the view from the restaurant on top of the hotel are supposed to be good. We never did get up there though.

When I return to Rome I will stay around Campo Di Fiore or new Piazza Navonna.

I believe there are hotels in Rome with a better value.

Gail
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:45 AM

We only did a lobby check in Sept '04 but thought that the Russie was much more striking and chic and the location did seem more peaceful. Years ago we went to the Hassler bar-roof level and the view was good but not spectacular at night.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I've stayed at both but not with our kids. When we bring them, we stay at the St.Regis Grand or Del Senato. I'm not sure the Hassler or de Russie has quads or suites that they will allow four people to use. Be prepared to get two rooms then, which will set you back around 1000 euro per night, no breakfast included. I haven't stayed at the Hassler since 2000 and at that time, it was in need of refurbishing. I wouldn't describe either hotel as child friendly but the staff at the de Russie seemed more helpful and friendly than the Hassler's. The views from the Hassler are OK, but you need to get a room at the very northern end of the building and on a higher floor. These of course cost more. Neither location is particularly peaceful. Unless your kids love to shop, I don't think the Spanish Steps neighborhood would be my first choice for a hotel. My kids love the Del Senato and the fact that the Pantheon is right there and the Piazza Navona is a five minute walk away.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM

If you thought the Hassler was a ripoff, Grosenb, what about the de Russie?? We didn't stay there, but 25 euros for a minestrone?? --And that's just the soup--maybe you are used to paying top dollar, italy06, but think twice about the deRussie--it screamed "tourist trap" to me. For an authentic experience, how about the Del Senato, De La Minerva, or maybe, if you want something fancier, the St. Regis Grand, the Sofitel (quiet), or any hotel not located on/adjacent to the Via Veneto.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions, I think we'll bail on the Hassler and go elsewhere.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:47 PM

We took our teens on the "family vacation of a lifetime" last June to Paris and Rome. We opted to rent apartments because it was SO MUCH cheaper. We stayed near Campo de Fiori in Rome -- my kids loved it. Quite a "happenin'" scene at night, and we loved eating over in the Trastevere neighborhood.

There was an upscale hotel in our neighborhood that looked absolutely fabulous to me - it is called Hotel Ponte Sisto. It's in a really authentic Rome spot (OLD, narrow street...) and it was just lovely. It also gets really great reviews on Tripadvisot.com. (That is the best place to look for hotel reviews.) It seems like not too many people on Fodors have stayed there - so there isn't much info on here about it. But, if I ever get back to Rome and want to stay in a hotel, that is where I would stay. (It's not cheap though!)

I don't know if it will help you (or if I have sent you this link before), but here is a link to my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34645892