Hotel de l'Avre in Paris

Has anybody stayed here?
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering if you saw the comments on TripÁdvisor:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

and www.paris.org:
http://www.paris.org/Hotels/hotel.cg...05057775707175

I've seen it mentioned in several newsletters or online publications, seems to be quite popular. Good metro connection nearby, Monoprix at Grenelle, market underneath the metro track a couple times a week. I first heard about it reading the old message board on www.bonjourparis.com, but those posts are gone now.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 07:38 PM

It's still possible to access most of those old posts.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

I actually found the de l'Avre on tripadvisor. This trip to France is a budget special, so I've been on the lookout for nice, cheap rooms. The tripadvisor reviews are all wonderful, but there seem to be mixed opinions of tripadvisor here with some advice not to follow their system. Oh well!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:45 PM

I haven't really seen any remarks about Tripadvisor that advise not to rely on the feedback. I think I read a comment that one should take any customer feedback with a 'grain of salt', and that is probably true. The point of finding customer reviews is to get a sense for a place; people do have different tastes and expectations that will color their comments. I read a review once that disparaged the hotel for its 'dark hallways'. Anyone who's been in a moderate French hotel knows the lights go off automatically & you hit the wall switch to turn them on. Purely efficient. Anyway, there is no such thing as a perfect hotel. If most people comment favorably, the area looks ok, transportation is good, and the price is right, then your choice should be fine. (and, in this case, you have the added benefit of finding customer reviews on more than one website - that helps maintain some balance..)
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut, you mentioned de l'Avre in a thread that you started about budget hotels. Do you have firsthand experience with this hotel?
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:55 AM

I've walked thru the blvd Grenelle area, but have not stayed at the hotel. As I mentioned in other posts, it has many favorable comments over a period of several years, therefore I put it out here for further research or to gain additional feedback for you...
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

I'll be certain to oblige upon my return in three weeks.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 03:02 PM

I have made enquiry for December based upon this forum and Trip Advisor. I hope the internet collective is right.
The email reply was prompt and polite.
I find this forum to be very helpful
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Bernard and co. are definitely on point in the communications department.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Well, I just returned from the Hotel de l'Avre and it was great. I would definitely recommend getting a room on the garden side, they are much better and worth the couple extra Euro. That said, I have no complaints. The hotel is very clean, quaint, quiet. Staff is friendly and professional. The weather wasn't so great so breakfast was not taken in the garden, but the dining room is pleasant nevertheless.

The neighborhood borders the 7th so it is very convenient and especially so to the Motte-Picquet metro station. There is a Monoprix around the corner and some pretty standard shops (Gap, etc.) 10 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower. The hotel is very secure.

I would definitely return and highly recommend it.